Sign in with
Your question

Ati+PhysX option

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 22, 2010 2:21:19 PM

Hi!

I've been reading around about using an Nvidia card for dedicated physx with an ati card.
I personaly have a Radeon HD 5870 and i have the option to buy a new 8800gts for about 25$...

Would the 8800 used as dedicated PhysX-card have any noticable impact on performance?..
Would i get the option to get high Physx in lets say Maffia 2? Does anyone actually have a chart
or a link when it comes to Ati+Physx performance?

Thanks guys!

More about : ati physx option

a c 228 U Graphics card
November 22, 2010 2:28:49 PM

Chek out this recent article on Tom's. Looking at your option, it doesn't seem to be worth the increase in performance according to this info:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-physx-hack-a...

You need a more capable Nvidia GPU to see a meaningful increase in performance.
November 22, 2010 2:32:16 PM

COLGeek said:
Chek out this recent article on Tom's. Looking at your option, it doesn't seem to be worth the increase in performance according to this info:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-physx-hack-a...

You need a more capable Nvidia GPU to see a meaningful increase in performance.

This was spot on! Even the same cards compared. Thanks alot m8!
Related resources
a c 228 U Graphics card
November 22, 2010 2:34:03 PM

Glad to help. Good luck!
a c 228 U Graphics card
November 22, 2010 5:52:44 PM

Quote:
@ COLGeek - I read the article somewhat.
aren't they saying at least a GT240 for any kind of boost and a GTX260 for gaming boost.?

Yes, that is pretty much what the article says as quoted here, "Real added value is obtained only by using an additional GeForce GTX 260 or better". That being the case, the 8800GTS may (or may not) provide quite the horsepower the OP was looking for, especially if you consider the additional heat generated/power consumed, and whether the OP's PSU is up to the task. Still, for $25, it could be an interesting experiment. HOOAH!!!
a c 228 U Graphics card
November 22, 2010 9:22:01 PM

Quote:
yes sir it is marine..!

Not a Marine, just a dumb ol' Soldier (Army). HOOAH!!! (as opposed to OO-RAH!!!)
a c 228 U Graphics card
November 22, 2010 10:38:43 PM

Quote:
i'm a vet of the Navy; GS(e)3 on the USS DEYO Charleston, SC..

25.5 years and counting! The fun never stops!! WOO HOO!!!
!