Internet Slow On New PC

NMeck04

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
I just got a brand new computer. Haven't installed or downloaded any programs besides Firefox. My internet (possibly my general network) connection is very slow. I ran speedtest and it shows barely 1mb/sec download, but between 4 and 5 meg upload.

Also, when transferring files over the network to the new computer, it's going just over 100KB/s. That seems extremely slow to transfer files locally. Both computers are 10/100Mbps. My internet connection is rated at 10Mbps down. While researching this problem, everyone points at spyware and other junk... but this computer is new out the box, and I deleted all the crap that HP puts on.

The computer is running Windows 7 Home Premium. The network card is integrated into the motherboard. The PC's model number is A4310F, from HP. The router I'm using is an old Linksys BEF11S4 v.2. It's wireless-b, which I have disabled. It should be noted that the wired connection only works on the 1st and 3rd port on the router. If i use 2 and 4, the light just blinks and it doesn't send a connection.

Also, the Cat5 cable is old. I don't know if that makes a difference.

My initial thought is that it's a router problem, because of the couple ports not working. But I switched ports on the router so that the new comp is using the port that my old computer has a fast connection. I would like some suggestions before I go buying parts. It's got to be router, NIC, or cable. Gonna try to use a fresh cable first, since that' the cheapest solution. I may have an old NIC laying around that I can try. From what I can see, there's no sticker on my case to indicate when i open it. Shouldn't void warranty.

Summary: New Win7 PC. Network is slow on internet and locally, Even numbered ports on 7 year old router don't work, old cat5, Old vista PC is fine.

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
If it's brand new, I'd do the troubleshooting you mentioned (cable is cheap, or use the cable that works well for the other PC) but also consider HP tech support - that's part of why you bought a name brand, is you should be able to get support.