What's going wrong??? Problem with motherboard or PSU? Others?

Hey guys,

I'm building an HTPC. I put everything together and there's something wrong. Nothing is showing up on the screen (tried onboard graphics and graphics card as well). I tried different several RAM sticks. Odd thing is when I turn the power button on the back of the PSU the entire system turns on. All the fans are running, CPU / graphics etc. - I even unplugged all the front panel connectors still same thing. Is there something wrong with the motherboard or PSU or something else? There is a green light on the motherboard so I don't think it's dead. Help me!
16 answers Last reply
More about what wrong problem motherboard others
  1. Check all the connections to the lcd.
  2. Also post your PC specs.
  3. I checked the monitor it works fine with my other PC.

Specs:

Phenom II X4 830
    Asus M4N68T-M Mobo
    8GB Ripjaws RAM
    AMD HD 5670
    APEVIA PSU 500W that came with Case
    APEVIA QBOII Case
  4. I just tried another PSU that I know works and it still turns it on by itself. Bad board?
  5. I currently only have 3 things plugged into the motherboard:

RAM
    CPU
    PSU

Graphics is integrated.

The PSU powers on automatically when I turn it on from the back. Everything else is unplugged from the mobo.
  6. ragingazn628 said:
    I just tried another PSU that I know works and it still turns it on by itself. Bad board?

Looks that way, unless u have a short somewhere.

Check the PSU wires for the damage.

BTW, do u have some critters like cats? My 2 cats would surely like to look inside.
  7. Just replaced CPU. Still same. Auto turns on. Mobo dead?
  8. Ok I took out the mobo and placed it on anti static plastic wrap and it's still turning on automatically. WTF?!
  9. ragingazn628 said:
    Ok I took out the mobo and placed it on anti static plastic wrap and it's still turning on automatically. WTF?!

I would get a new mobo. I have a dell laptop with a bad mobo and it does the same thing your system is doing. Turns on automatically when I plug in the power adapter =/
  10. ragingazn628 said:
    Ok I took out the mobo and placed it on anti static plastic wrap and it's still turning on automatically. WTF?!

It is strange as it could be.

I would replace the mobo, before something will short out..
  11. I would suggest replacing the PSU as well. I can't seem to find a 80+ rating for that PSU
  12. hpdeskjet said:
    I would suggest replacing the PSU as well. I can't seem to find a 80+ rating for that PSU

He have tried another PSU, so there is a small chance that 2 PSU's would gone berserk.
  13. Yeah you're probably right. Just suggested it in the event that the case PSU messed up the mobo or something
  14. i do need some opinion as well. i'm also have a little problem with my system regarding turning on the PC, although not as severe as the first post. my problem is that every time i turn on my PC, (90% of the time) it will hang within booting the windows (between the first thing on the screen(BIOS/POST screen) until few seconds after i logged in to windows). what i normally do is to let it be for 5-or so minutes and then restart the system (i just call this "warming-up" time, LOL). restarting too early will not help either. after "warming-up the PC will boot normally, though the windows repair screen will come out

i've tried formatting windows, it doesn't help
    is there a problem with the mobo? or is it my PSU is not enough for the system?
    my PC spec is as stated below:

CPU : AMD Phenom X4 9550
    Mobo : ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition
    RAM : 1x 2GB Kingston 2G-UDIMM DRR2
    1x 2GB Corsair Value Select VS2GB667D2 DDR2
    GPU : ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU TOP 1GB DDR5
    HDD : Drive #1 - WDC WD6400AACS-00G8B (596 GB)
    Drive #2 - WDC WD10EARS-00Y5B1 (931 GB)
    Optical : Lite-On DVD-RW
    PSU : Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 500W

quite a mixed-up eh? i guess the rating for my PSU is 70+
  15. Hi h2_studio,

Can u make a new thread, more people will see it, so more help u gonna get.

And this thread will become confused with messages for u and ragingazn628.

Just copy and paste it.
  16. ok, no prob. thaks for the advice
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Graphics