Closed Solved

4-Pin to 6-Pin Connectors

Is there any problem/risk with using 4-pin to 6-pin connectors to satisfy part of a GPU's power requirements?

Scenario:
Core i-7 950 OC'ed to 4.5 GHz
Gigabyte UD3R
6 GB DDR3-1600
Corsair 650TX PSU (only has 2 6-pin connectors)
HD 5850 Crossfire (AMD recommends total of 4 6-pin connectors and 650W PSU)

If each card has 1 6-pin and 1 4-pin converted to 6 (vs 2 true 6 pin), will you see any difference in performance or have any problems? Many 5850's come packaged with these converters so I would think it would be fine, but never hurts to confirm. Are there any users that are currently using 4-pin to 6-pin converters that can share their experience?
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about connectors
  1. Best answer
    They work fine as long as your PSU has enough amps on the 12V rail (and yours does). I'm currently running 2 GTX 465's in SLI with a seasonic 620w with the 2 6 pins on one card and the 2 molex adapters on the other one. I've tried the ones that feed 2 4 pins into one 6 pin and 1 4 pin into one 6 pin and they work the same.
  2. ^+1 as long as the PSU meets the requirements. As a general practice I would plug the adapter into a separate segment of wire for each 6 pin adapter. for example, don't plug your hard drives into the same segment that your 6 pin adapter is plugged into, leave it on it's own segment.
  3. Best answer selected by beltzy.
  4. This topic has been closed by Maziar
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics