HWmonitor CPU temp hit 80c?

gibsonfirebird12

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010
Hello,

I have M4a89GTD pro/usb3 mobo, AMD Phenom X4 945. I think those are the only relevant hardware pieces for this post.

Two nights ago, I happen to leave HWmonitor up all night. I woke up in the morning and it said my CPU (not core) temp got up to 80c. My core temp seemed fine, maxed out around 30c (usually my core temp sits 4-10 degrees above my cpu temp).

My PC is not set to do anything at night. PC Probe recorded no errors (PC Probe is set to record an error if it goes over 60c). I've now set SpeedFan to activate an event if it goes over 60c.

Does anyone else have this problem with HWmonitor, or is this something to worry about?

Solution
yup, sounds like a bad reading. saying as your cpu and core temps are pretty much linked, if 1 goes up the other will 2.
i would recommend you switch to real temp as it seems to be more accurate and stable.
its possible that the erroneous reading has happened when the power grid has either geared up for the day or geared down for the night. as it can often cause a power spike in your home. if thats the case then i would be worried more about my psu than the cpu... as it means it doesn't have the proper spike protection. (i don't wanna scare you but that is the worst case scenario )

gibsonfirebird12

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010

I've done stress tests on my CPU for hours on my current set up. I've never even gotten over 42c for cpu temp and 50c for cpu core...I'm just wondering why it happens every night...it seems weird to me.

yup, sounds like a bad reading. saying as your cpu and core temps are pretty much linked, if 1 goes up the other will 2.
i would recommend you switch to real temp as it seems to be more accurate and stable.
its possible that the erroneous reading has happened when the power grid has either geared up for the day or geared down for the night. as it can often cause a power spike in your home. if thats the case then i would be worried more about my psu than the cpu... as it means it doesn't have the proper spike protection. (i don't wanna scare you but that is the worst case scenario )

Solution

gibsonfirebird12

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010

That was going to be my next question. I have been searching for another program to monitor CPU temp (most of them seem to just monitor core temp). I'll check it out

Thanks, have a good one