CPU_LED Twice with 2 Mobos in a Row

TerminusWilly

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Hey guys. I’ve got a tricky problem that might interest some of you.

I got my Asus P8Z68-V Pro mobo about a month ago, with all the rest of my parts. I put everything together outside of my case and everything seemed to work fine; the build went through POST. After I put everything in the case, I pressed the power button only to realize the CPU fan wasn’t spinning, and the CPU_LED was on; the computer wasn’t booting at all. I took it all apart to replicate my external build again, but the CPU_LED was still on.

I spoke to the Asus tech guy on the phone. He told me to reset the CMOS, reseat the CPU, etc., and after no result he then told me I’d need an RMA.
Now here’s the interesting part: yesterday I got my replacement mobo (a completely different mobo), and the exact same thing happened! External build worked fine, but as soon as I put it into the case the CPU_LED lit up and, voila, another dead board.

So obviously I screwed something up (twice), and I’d like to find out exactly what it is for next time. I checked for any sort of grounding points to the case, and couldn’t find any. My suspicion is the fan connectors, as I’ve read they have a tendency to kill the board. Specifically, I plugged in a cable from my power supply to the PWR_FAN1 connection on the mobo. I’ve read that this PWR_FAN connection can be used to regulate the speed of fans connected directly to the power supply, but I'm having my doubts (could this have screwed things up)? Off that molex cable (connecting from the PSU to mobo PWR_FAN1) I also daisy chained up the case fans; could this have made a difference?

Any help would be much appreciated... before I end up needing a third RMA! LOL

-Will

TerminusWilly

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011

Sure.

CPU: Intel i5 2500K
Mobo: Asus P8Z68-V Pro
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2X4GB 1600 MHz
PSU: XFX 850W Pro
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
GPU: EVGA GTX 570
CPU Fan: Hyper 212+

TerminusWilly

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011

Yeah, I made sure I had no extra standoffs, as I've heard that can really mess things up. The screws on the back plate of the CPU cooler are touching the case, but I believe I installed it properly, and I've read that it has no effect anyways. I'm not sure what other grounding points there could be...