Need advice on micro atx mobo/cpu combo for upgrade

wes_k

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: now-ish

Budget Range: 150-250

System Usage from Most to Least Important: media server, web browsing, light photo and video editing

Parts Not Required: power supply (thermaltake 450w), case (mid tower vaio, will only fit a micro atx), HDD (WD green 1.5TB), SSD (OCZ vertex 2 40gb), OS (Ubuntu).

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg or tigerdirect

Country of Origin: US

Parts Preferences: preferably AMD but am open to intel CPU. prefer ASUS or Gigabyte mobo.

Overclocking: maybe (not really necessary for the application)

SLI or Crossfire: no

Monitor Resolution: irrelevant

Additional Comments: energy efficiency, heat and noise are primary concerns so i would prefer a fairly low power CPU. the horrible pentium d that's currently in it runs unbelievably hot. so i am swinging in the cool, quiet direction for the upgrade. also, i'm not married to the SSD. it was an impulse buy and is still returnable. so i am open to suggestions on better ways to spend that $115 as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parts already in hand:

Sony VAIO VGC RB54G case

WD Caviar Green 1.5TB HDD

OCZ Vertex 2 40gb SSD

can't find a good URL for the PSU but it's a 450W Thermaltake i bought a year ago.

cheap and reliable. I used and use this mother board and memory off and on for different things. I don't use these processors but I don't buy dual cores any more either. Way more than enough for your posted needs. On board video is perfect. $163.....

alternative would be 2gig kingston ddr3 value ram and an msi micro-atx board..( ddr3 ) . same processor.

ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134488
mobo combo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.581162

wes_k

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011

nice choices. that's the kind of thing i'm thinking about. thanks for the input. i like the low power of the processor.

wes_k

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011

good call. there's a micro center about 5 miles from my house. didn't even know about it. i'll go check out what they have tomorrow.

wes_k

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011

i considered a sandy bridge but that means i need to return the ssd to stay under budget on this thing. the whole project started with me looking at buying an NAS. then i thought i might as well take the $400 and upgrade the system i was just going to scrap. that way i'd have another serviceable desktop in the house as well. so this thing isn't going to be a "media pc" per se. more of a glorified NAS or media server that occasionally serves as a desktop.
like i said, the SSD was an impulse buy that i will probably return. i don't really need it for this application. but i don't really need a top of the line processor, either.

wes_k

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011

ended up going with the microcenter free motherboard deal. it was too good to pass up. biostar A780L3G with 560BE. not bad for $99. thanks for your input.

Yep enjoy your new h/w and u are welcomed ^^ By the way if u feeling adventurous that A780L3G has auto unlock BIO unlocking function via F key so u could try turning that Callisto to a Deneb :p
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/event/biounlocking/index.htm

TRENDING THREADS