PC crashes after exiting games

I have been having this problem recently. It started all of a sudden, and as far as I know, it wasn't caused by me messing around with anything.

My PC boots up and runs fine, until gaming. During gaming, usually Unreal Engine 3 games (UT3, Bioshock), the game will play fine, but when I exit the game, a few seconds later the PC screen goes blank and the system restarts. I have been noticing my temps have been higher than usual when gaming by about 2-3c, and the fan noise has been louder. The fan now goes to 80%, when in the past it would only go to 70%. I seem to be able to play other games with no problem, except I did have a crash the only time I played Half-Life 2 recently. Dragon Age: Origins plays well. I am also able to run MSI Kombustor and 3D Mark Vantage with no problems. There just seems to be a point during the affected games when I can hear the fan ramp up and, although I can still keep playing, I know the PC will crash after I exit the game when I hear that fan ramp up.

Another note, a couple months ago I changed the thermal paste on the GPU, and got great results. When this problem happened, I opened up the cooler and re-applied new thermal paste, and made sure the cooler was securely attached. The problem continued, however.

I have switched video card drivers.
I have updated my motherboard BIOS.
My other system temps are fine.

I already RMA'ed my PSU (Corsair 850HX), and the problem continued with a new PSU. I have an RMA started with my video card, Asus GTX480, but before I deliver the card, I want to get some opinions on this problem. If I RMA the card, I will be down for about a week and a half, so I'm hoping there may be another solution.

Any thoughts or good advice would be greatly appreciated. My system specs are below. Thanks!

Solution

Dreamwind

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011

I'd be far more inclined to be looking at your RAM/CPU first.

Solution
Wow, thanks for the tip Dreamwind. I forgot I had this thread open. It turns out, after checking the RAM/CPU, I did determine it was a faulty motherboard. I returned it to MSI, they returned me another defective mobo, and finally I bought a new one that works like a dream.