Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Nvidia Supersampling AA options?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a c 80 Î Nvidia
November 22, 2010 6:01:46 PM

In the past, Nvidia cards had support a 3rd party program called nHancer, which gave Nvidia cards an unofficial form of supersampling AA. This worked great in many situations, if you had the graphics power.

Unfortunately, nHancer has not been updated to work with drivers in the 200's (over 6 months), and I'm not sure it ever will get updated again. Does anyone know of any other way to get Supersampling AA for Nvidia cards?
November 22, 2010 6:19:11 PM

I think you can force Supersampling (among other forms of AA) through the driver control panel.
Score
a c 80 Î Nvidia
November 22, 2010 6:23:46 PM

gamerk316 said:
I think you can force Supersampling (among other forms of AA) through the driver control panel.

Nvidia does not have this support in the control panel. It does have "Antialiasing - Transparency" Supersampling, but that does not work the same way as the "Antailising - Setting" supersampling. There is a rather large disparity in image quality.
Score
Related resources
November 23, 2010 2:49:57 AM

Its been a while since I used a NVIDIA card, so you'll probably need to talk to someone who actually has one. I know supersampling is still supported (it was tested by anandtech for the 580 GTX), I just don't know where to enable it.

Sry for not being helpful on this one.
Score
a c 80 Î Nvidia
November 23, 2010 3:19:40 AM

I did a few searches and reads, including anandtech's review, and it appears the closest I could find out about an official SSAA is they were speculating thaty they'd have either SSAA or a combonation of SSAA and MSAA with the new gtx580 before it was released. It appears as though they still don't have an official version.

For now, I've decided to use the older drivers, which has terrible performance (it was the first set of drivers that worked for the 470). Dragon Age: Origins isn't too demanding, so it seems fine. I'll just have to update drivers for more demanding games later.

The big deal on SSAA is that it fixes aliasing on the entire scene, not just around objects. This is usually most notable when you see fields of grass with lots of jaggies on the blades and in trees, as these are in the textures, and not around objects. MSAA only fixes jaggies around objects. SSAA fixes them all.
Score
November 23, 2010 11:21:37 AM

Personally, I'd rather NVIDIA/ATI implement the HQ2x full-screen filters and call it a day...

...that would actually be a very interesting comparision to make, a quality/performance between various forms of AA and the HQ2x filter...(goes off the write some test program...)
Score
a c 80 Î Nvidia
November 23, 2010 3:38:16 PM

ATI's HD 5xxx and 6xxx cards actually have super sampling, which do look quite impressive when used. I'm not sure why Nvidia is so reluctant to give it to the public. nHancer has been allowing it for years for Nvidia cards.
Score

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
November 23, 2010 3:49:38 PM

There is a new program most are now using NVIDIA Inspector , its does everything you want and the newest version is based on the newest Nvidia drivers.
http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5077-nvidia-inspector...
http://blog.orbmu2k.de/tools/nvidia-inspector-tool
http://majorgeeks.com/NVIDIA_Inspector_d6630.html

I just started using it for Hot pursuit.
It seems to fix sli problems faster than Nvidia does. Forced SS and now get 70% load on my gtx 460sli and things look much prettier
a c 80 Î Nvidia
November 23, 2010 3:54:02 PM

I'll give it a shot. Thanks
Score
a c 80 Î Nvidia
November 23, 2010 4:13:02 PM

It looks like it works! The only problem is it doesn't work for 1 game, Gothic 3, but that's another issue. (nHancer had a fix for it, but it was a special fix).
Score
a c 80 Î Nvidia
November 23, 2010 4:55:13 PM

Best answer selected by bystander.
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
November 23, 2010 4:56:17 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!