Sign in with
Your question
Solved

3D Blu-rays on 3D-HDTV from computer?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 22, 2010 6:34:50 PM

Hi,

I have a 46" Sony KDL-46HX800 3D-HDTV running off of an evga GTX 460 via HDMI v1.3. I also have Arcsoft Total Media Theatre Platinum with the Slim3D plug-in. My computer also has a blu-ray player.

Currently I am able to watch blu-rays in 1080p on my tv. Seeing how my tv is 3d capable I'd like to watch 3d blu-rays on my tv using the tv's native 3d goggles and 3d transmitter.

From what I've seen online for 3d blu-rays to be played on a tv you need:

Blu-ray drive
Computer with 3D capable/HDCP compatible graphics card
3D Blu-ray software
NVidia 3D Vision
TV compatible with NVidia 3D Vision
HDMI 1.4 everything
3D goggles/transmitter

HDMI 1.4 is a problem because the 1.3 cable is already running through the wall. Ive seen that with a normal 3d blu-ray player you dont need hdmi 1.4 though.

I also believe my tv is not NVIDIA 3D Vision ready (as most arn't)

Is there any other way for me to get 3d on my tv? It seems like I have all of the necessary hardware IF I was using a stand-alone blu-ray player with a 3d tv... I dont see why my computer should be any different. If there are limitations they would seem to be software not hardware.

More about : blu rays hdtv computer

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
November 22, 2010 7:47:55 PM

Nvidia released 3dtv play that uses your tv's own glasses. http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play.html
They want you to buy a 3dvision kit for the software to function.

Quote:
3DTV Play™ software requires a compatible GeForce GPU, a 3D Vision kit, Microsoft® Windows® 7, and a compatible 3D TV. Please view the 3DTV Play™ system requirements for more details.

* Blu-ray 3D support requires the purchase of a compatible video playback software application from Corel, CyberLink, ArcSoft, or Roxio.

Quote:
Question
Does NVIDIA 3DTV Play work with any type of 3D TV glasses, whether its active shutter or passive polarized glasses?

Answer
Yes, NVIDIA 3DTV Play works with any HDMI1.4a 3D TV. The TV manufacturer can use any type of glasses with their 3D TV.
November 22, 2010 10:29:59 PM

Cool, thanks for the response. I checked out that page and my tv/video card is compatible. The only thing I'm lacking is a HDMI 1.4 cable... (my cable literally says v1.3 on both connectors)

But does this really matter?

Straight from the HDMI specification website:
http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/hdmi_1_4_faq....
Quote:

Will any of the new HDMI 1.4 features require a new cable?

The HDMI Ethernet Channel feature will require a new cable that supports this functionality, either a Standard HDMI Cable with Ethernet or a High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet, depending on the maximum resolution to be supported. All of the other new HDMI 1.4 features will be compatible with the existing categories of cables.

Nowhere on the NVIDIA 3DTV Play site does it say that the cable has to be 1.4. Only that the ports do.

Would I need a new cable?
November 30, 2010 12:54:36 PM

Best answer selected by koga73.
!