bluerambo

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Hello everyone. My question is regaurding the performance of previous generation cpu's vs the current generation. How would a cpu like a Core 2 Quad q9505 compare to a new processor like a 2500k. Also, how would this q 9505 compare to a core 2 duo e7500. Thank you.

Courtesy of a newer and superior architecture, the i5 2500k is significantly faster when compared to any C2Q model across every benchmark (real world or synthetic).. IMO, irrespective of the intended PC use, a transition made from a C2Q to an i5 2500k based system is very healthy and worth the money..

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
The sandybridges are awesome, but for me I doubt you'd see a real difference in your day-to-day Windows experience unless you're running really intensive stuff such as video-encoding.

However, four vs two cores you would notice a difference if you were doing any serious gaming or multitasking.

bluerambo

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010

So, would you say that under a circumstance in which one must upgrade from a core 2 duo to a core 2 quad the performance increase would be very noticable.

going from a C2D to C2Q if the clock on the C2Q is the same or higher is a good idea
if it is done CHEAPLY
the problem with C2Qs right now is they cost way more than they are worth
if it cost more than 150-175 USD to do the upgrade then you are better off going with a sandybridge
try to look on Ebay or Craigslist for used deals on C2Qs
that would be the only way to make it cost effective
also does matter how you use your computer
for example I do alot of video editing and encoding which depends heavily on having more cores
so I am shopping around for a Quad setup
same thing goes for alot of business oriented software like Maya,Adobe,Sony Vegas
etc
on the other hand if you just game and browse then going to a quad
wouldnt make much difference

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006

I would say it would be noticeable, and very noticeable if you do heavy multitasking.