Need advice on chess playing build

gloeba

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
(English is not my native language so please excuse any mistakes...)

I was asked to build a system for chess competitions on a limited budget
The specs given to me were incorrect, for example quad GTX 580, when chess program are mainly using cpu
or a sound blaster XFI titanium ...

The motherboard asked for is EVGA CLASSIFIED SR-2 270, with 2 Xeon X5680 overclocked at 4.5ghz
I can't find the mobo except on the constructor site (no answers), and I'm not sure Xeon are what's best for this kind of usage.

So I need advice on what CPU and motherboard to squeeze the most cpu power (with overclocking) on a limit of 3500-4000 € for these two parts.

I think I can manage the rest of the build by myself, but these two parts are the difficult ones.

lightbulbsocket

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
I don't have anything in the way of advice to offer personally but this sounds like an interesting build to follow.

Am I correct in assuming that this contest isn't a competition between people but between different computers? If so I'm guessing that whomever is able to answer your question will probably need to know what chess program the computer will be running and how well it's optimized for multi-threading and whether or not it supports any kind of gpu-enhanced computing. Cuda or AMD's equivalent is the only reason I can think of that a system with this type of specific purpose in mind would need 4 GTX580s.

Anyway, good luck with your build and the competition.