Your question

New i5-2500K Build (about $1,200)

Last response: in Systems
January 21, 2011 3:11:04 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Today / Tomorrow

Budget Range: 1000-1200 before rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, microcenter (store in Boston, MA)

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: No parts preference.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Not at first

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

CPU: Core i5-2500 $180

Mobo: ASUS P8P67 PRO LGA 1155 $185
This one is sold out at newegg, any other comparable ones? GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4 LGA 1155 maybe?

GPU: Radeon HD 6870 - I don't know anything about the different brands though, and was going to try to find something with a combo. Any suggestions? $240

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 $70
Is it worth another $70 to go to 8 Gig of CAS 7 (4x2GB)? There's a newegg daily deal on a 8GB (2x4GB) G Skill, CAS 9. Is the difference between CAS 9 and CAS 7 worth $35? Is having 4 sticks of 2 slower than 2 sticks of 4?

Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W $110
I've used Corsair before and liked them, but I'd be open to another brand. People on this board seem to be suggesting XFX Black Edition 750W? My plan is to use the single 6870 for now and add a second in 6-8 months time, so I need the power to support that.

Case: Antec 300 Illusion $70
I used one of these for my last build and, generally, like it.

OS + Game HDD: OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD2-2AGTE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II $115 (Daily deal)
Is 60 GB enough for Windows 7 and a handful of games? I can go up to the 90 GB version for an additional $65 but I'd rather not if I can avoid it)

Storage HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB $45
I don't have a lot of media files, 500 GB is plenty

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper N 520 $35

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound $10

Total Cost: ~1200 depending on RAM

Thanks for any advice!
Mike

More about : 2500k build 200

January 21, 2011 4:09:01 PM

If i was You id take a look at this site:

http://www.giantbomb.com/pc/60-94/gaming-pcs-what-to-bu...

I think the advice given here is very sound. I see that you have an SSD in your build... It wont improve your gaming experience aside from improved load times... Is that really worth it when you could add another 6870 for crossfire? Your gaming resolution is 1920x1200.... You will need every ounce of GPU power you can get.

I guess You have to make a decision if you want an all around snappier PC, or a more powerful gaming PC.

And yes the CF would make a huge difference. Just take a look at the benchmarks:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ATI/Radeon_HD_6870_C...

We are talking about playing Crysis at 30 FPS vs 60 FPS at your resolution and 4xAA. Dont you think thats worth it? (not to mention other games).

Also, dont forget to take a look at these sites:

http://promotions.newegg.com/neemail/jan-0-2011/Compute...

http://promotions.newegg.com/neemail/jan-0-2011/kickoff...

Saved me 70$ on my last build due to coupons.

Btw... SSD failure rates are the same as regular needle hard drives.
January 21, 2011 4:49:37 PM

It is not worth extra money to get 4 sticks of RAM instead of 2 sticks. You always want as few sticks as possible. If overclocking, consider DDR3 2000, but 1600 will serve you well.

You don't need a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB, but it's faster than the 500GB version I think, so it's worth $55 (Amazon) to double your capacity and increase speed.

I completely agree that the solid state drive is a waste of money right now. I'd buy a second Spinpoint F3 1TB and RAID 1 them before an SSD (which is close to what I did).

In terms of your video card: You don't need to start with a crossfire/SLI setup. Buy a single good card and pursue crossfire as an upgrade path. The simple fact is that a 6950 is a much better card than a 6870 for a $60 increase. Also--at 1920x1200 a 6870 will barely cut it. I would say a 6950 and then, if you're comfortable, do the bios unlock to 6970.

You're gonna have a great computer!
Related resources
January 21, 2011 5:17:25 PM

dalauder def gave a good suggestion about Raid-1. I was hesitant to offer that b/c i dont know what your level of expertise is.

I am somewhat inclined to disagree on his video card suggestion though. 6950 to 6970 unlocking is pretty much a guaranteed deal due to high success rates: if you were to attempt this, you would probably succeed. Having said that, You still have to wonder if these high end video cards are worth it...

Cheapest 6950 on newegg is $270. Lets assume u can unlock it to 6970. So you will have a 6970 for 270$.

You can still crossfire 2 6850's for $320 (newegg). You could probably OC the 6850s to make them as fast as the 6870s. But lets just say you ran them stock...

FPS comparison:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ATI/Radeon_HD_6850_C...

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/Radeon_HD_6970/1...

SLI and crossfire scaling has improved so dramatically these few last generations. Id give it heavy considerations if i was you. Most people who buy 1 good card and attempt to cf / sli later never do so. Do it from the get go with 2 weaker cards and ull get better FPS.
January 21, 2011 5:30:12 PM

Delauder, Lukas, thanks for the advice!

Sounds like I need better graphics. I really like the idea of going with one 6950 and flashing the BIOS, then adding a second one in 6 months. Lukas, that site you linked has the 6970 at 37.5 FPS in Crysis. Not the 6870's in crossfire, but I can live with non-maxed settings until I get a second one. That same site is suggesting the Sapphire cards, that sounds good.

You're right about not getting around to adding in the second card, but I think I'd do it if my FPS dropped low enough. My most recent build was processor-limited (E8400) so I never bothered, but before that I replaced the graphics card (couldn't SLI with that motherboard). I like the idea of starting with something good and adding crossfire if it turns out not to be good enough.

For the HDD, I'll swap to the 1 TB, I didn't realize there was a speed difference. I'm still tempted to get the 60 GB SSD, slow boot / load times are my #2 pet peeve about computers. #1 is low frame rates. I currently have two 250's in a RAID 1, but I didn't want to bother with a RAID again. I can probably afford both the small SSD and the better GPU.

On the RAM, I'll stick with 2 sticks (thanks, I never knew that was faster!).

So, two remaining questions:
8 GB CAS 9 vs 4 GB CAS 7?
Is 750W enough for 2x 6970's?

Thanks guys, this is a huge help.
January 21, 2011 5:44:33 PM

If the primary use for the pc is gaming then tell me... Do you really think you will ever use 8GB of Ram? 4 GB is all you will need, 7 cas or 9 cas.

Dont forget... The best way to future proof your pc is to spend as little money as possible on the current build, because there is no such thing as future proofing when it comes to tech.

If you want to go with the 6950 and unlock to 6970 then its your choice - and its not a bad choice, but perhaps not the best one out there. I recently ordered parts for my brother's PC and the total came out to $820 After MIR.

The original link for the discussion can be found here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/303127-31-advice-gami... .

You are paying 400$ more and will get less FPS in games than he will. Just think about that for a minute.
!