6870 Question

roberts_zak

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
Hey All
i just built a new rig,
got a
AMD Phenom II x 4 970 BE oc to roughly 3.7 ghz(still stock fan, will do more once i get that replaced)
8 gigs of DDR3 G.Skill
ASUS M4A87TD Evo Mobo
XFX Black Edition 850w PSU
and a gigabyte 6870

basically, i was just expecting way more perforamance out of this then i'm getting? biggest example is WoW, on ultra settings set at 1680 x 1050 i'm only getting around 30 fps in dal(around 150ms latency), while reviews like this state i should be doing way better, so if i'm not sure if i messed something up when installing or what...
i havn't messed with anything in the CCC, so that might have something to do with it, but i was wondering if anyone else was experiencing the same issues as me?
also in games like Fallout: New Vegas, it stats optimal setting for my machine would be the lowest settings and that doesn't seem right to me?

any help would be useful
~Zak

brachen33

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
Yeah I just built almost the identical rig that you have (and it's basically for wow)..... I've noticed my fps in dalaran and load times are drastically different depending on the time of day i'm on and I have my graphics cranked to ultra..... another thing I've read recently about wow is that it is heavily dependent on your hard drive speed as well, and that the benchmarks have always been higher on intel chipsets...... but it's not just you.... I was hopeing this new machine would be smoothe all the time and it's just not..... G-luck