Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
I currently have

AMD Athlon II X2 245
2GB DDR3 1333
160GB HDD
GTX 460 768MB
Seasonic 520 Watt PowerSupply

I gonna change my display when i get my tax money to a 23" 1080p monitor from 17"

IS my graphic card ok to max out new games at 1080p resoltuion also i need of cpu/ram/hdd upgrade.

Any suggestion on all of them including the gpu

Max out? Probably not in all games... Ideally you would need to upgrade your CPU, memory, AND graphics card. However, I would start with just the CPU and memory and see where you stand while gaming. The good news is that you have an AM3 setup and memory is cheap. You can drop in an Athlon X3 455 or similar (higher clock speed AND more cores) and add another 2GB of memory. Stick with memory in pairs to take advantage of the dual memory controllers.

D

Deleted member 217926

The 1GB version of the GTX460 would be much better for 1920 x 1080. And the dual core cpu with only 2 GB of RAM will hold you back a bit.

The 460 should do alright. It may struggle to play some games at maximum details at 1080p (the 1 GB model wouldn't have as much trouble), but I can't see a reason to upgrade it.

Is that a single 2 GB stick, or 2x1 GB? It's not recommended, but some people did buy a single stick to save money and make room for an easy upgrade.

Without knowing a budget, we can't really give specific advice. That said, here's what I'd look at getting any way I could:

CPU: i5-2500K $225
Mobo: ASRock P67 Extreme4 $153
RAM: A second set of whatever you already have
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB $65

If you were absolutely sure you wanted to upgrade the GPU, I'd look at getting a bigger PSU (650W would be fine, the quality ones are around $70) and a second 460. That'll put you back about $200, but you'd get more graphics muscle than if you used that $200 for a single GPU.

brpeden82

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
It 2x1GB

And I was leaning more toward a I5. I built a I5 750 Machine for a customer and i could run crysis at 60FPS on high with a 5770. I seen the power of them. I agree AMD cant compete with them now.

I would love SLI GTX460 if it was a good gain in perfomance. What supply do you suggest

I wouldn't even consider building anything without the new Sandy Bridge CPUs. The i5-2500 is about 20-30% more powerful than the old i5-760. The X4 955 competed with the i5-760 because the X4/AM3 was around $150 cheaper than an i5/P55 build, and it was only slightly less powerful. An i5-2500K/P67 build is still about $150 more expensive, but the power difference is in the neighborhood of 50-60%.

And a 5770 is NOT running Crysis on high at 60 FPS, regardless of what CPU you're using. Unless of course, the resolution was dialed down to something like 1280x720. The CPU really doesn't have that big of an impact on gaming.

I suggest the one I linked to, the Antec Earthwatts 650W.

D

Deleted member 217926

^ +++

Sandy Bridge kills anything else by a WIDE margin. Best CPUs out there right now by far and almost just as cheap as an older i5 750/760 build.

You have an AM3 motherboard. The best performance / price spend would be to keep it and upgrade around it rather than build new. Upgrade your memory to 4GB, CPU to a Phenom X4, and slap in that 5770 THEN do that comparison... That type of AMD rig won't have any problems playing in higher detail. An Intel build is a good machine, but be careful comparing non-like machines like that.

Even Intel's $1,000 CPUs can't beat the new CPUs. They barely put up a fight at stock.

@sadams: That's why I asked about the budget. If the OP's got the money for a full upgrade (CPU, board), then I'd get the i5-2500K. If the OP is looking for a cheap quick way to get better gaming performance, then it's just replacing the CPU with a X4 955.

Also, the HD 5770 is a DOWNGRADE from a 460, even if it's the smaller 768 MB version. Of course, you'd be able to Crossfire the 5770 with an AMD board, but then you're talking about spending over $300 to improve performance. At that price, you'd do better to just drop in an HD 6950 for $270ish.

D

Deleted member 217926

Yep with Sandy I can no longer even recommend Any AMD chips except for tight budget computers/internet boxes. It is too strong and cheap to recommend AMD for a gaming machine if you can at all get around it.

@MadAdmiral - Good call on the 5770 being a downgrade. I was mixing threads... Knowing a budget would be nice as you noted as well. I would build a SB machine if going with a new rig, but the base is there for a respectable AM3 machine at a lower cost. To each their own... Its not our money. :)

Again, not much in gaming. However, if you switch to an Intel CPU, you will be able to SLI the 460. AMD chipset don't natively support SLI.

New RAM and a new HDD aren't going to have any impact on gaming, but it's something you should do anyway, so I'm going to assume you do that regardless.

To try to sum up your options to see a large gaming performance increase:

#1: Upgrade your PSU and get a big new GPU.
#2: Replace current GPU with an ATI card, upgrade PSU and buy a second ATI card (assuming your motherboard supports Crossfire right now)
#3: Upgrade the CPU, PSU and GPU (AMD CPU)
#4: Upgrade the CPU, motherboard, PSU and GPU (Intel CPU, can either SLI the 460 or get a new GPU)

With #1 and #2, you're looking at a farily substantial upgrade, costing probably around $400-$500. You'll soon begin to be restricted by the CPU. With #3 and #4, you're basically building something new already, as that's the largest chunk of a build's budget. The AMD CPU upgrade option would eliminate the future upgrade needs of options #1 and #2, but would easily make the cost of the upgrade $600-650. At that price, you could be getting a completely new build with the i5-2500K.

What I would do if I had the budget you do is take the build I put together above. However, instead of buying the HD 6950, I'd buy a second GTX 460 and SLI them. That would save a good $150 or so, making it much easier to swallow. Also, if you have a decent case you currently like, you could leave out the HAF as well. If you go that route, you'd only be spending around $700 total.

Status
Not open for further replies.