Closed Solved

Upgrade to GTX 460 from GTX 285?

Well, since newegg is having a sale I'm thinking about upgrading my GTX 285 to a GTX 460, I'd like to know if this is worth it.

I've had the computer for a little over a year and don't have any major issues, I just think an upgrade would be nice. I would be ordering the card off newegg today or tomorrow (the 460).

As far as usage goes, its almost 100% for gaming. I would also like to be able to smoothly record and edit videos made using Fraps (some machinima or something), I can do this fine as is however. I also watch a few videos on Netflix, nothing notable.

As far as games used. Currently its Civ 5, I would like to be able to comfortably play New Vegas or Metro 2033 on high graphics settings.

Computer Specs:

GPU: GTX 2851 GB EVGA
Power Supply: Silverstone 1000 Watt
CPU: Intel core i7 950 3.06 GHz
Motherboard: Asus P6T Deluxe i7 x58 v2
Coolers: 1 Asetek CPU water cooler
Memory: 6 GB of Crucial DDR3 PC3-8500 (3 x 2 GB sticks)
Sound Card: CL X-Fi Titanium Fatlity Pro
HDD: 1 TB @ 7200 RPM
Case: Mach V from Falcon N-W, has 3 fans
Monitor resolution: I have a two monitor setup, one is 2048x1152, other is 1280x1024
Games will be run on the first.

This is the current deal I would buy.

I would like to overclock both cards, but haven't gotten around to it.

I am curious as to whether or not I could SLI either of the cards.
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrade
  1. Best answer
    You won't notice much of a benefit; the GTX 285 is still a pretty good card: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/180?vs=166

If you're looking to upgrade, you should look at the GTX 480, HD 5870, or GTX 580. Were I you, though, I would wait for ATI's release of the 69xx series (coming in a few weeks--I hope), as you might find a better card to upgrade to and/or the prices should come down on all of the current cards.

Edit: Or you could find another 285 for SLI.
  2. You will have to o/c the gtx 460 to be as fast as a gtx 285.
    Its a very sideways (up)grade. Unless you plan on getting another for sli.
    The new 560 will pack a bigger punch, thats do to come out in January, possibly.
    It will probably be 250.00, my guess.
  3. Thanks a lot for your help guys, I appreciate it. I'm gonna wait it out.
  4. Best answer selected by zmarine44.
  5. zmarine44 said:
    Thanks a lot for your help guys, I appreciate it. I'm gonna wait it out.

Let us know when you're looking to buy, and we can recommend the best one for your budget.
  6. This topic has been closed by Maziar
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Graphics Product