WHAT TO DO ABOUT DAD?

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
January 29, 2005 6:20:17 AM

Well sports fans, it had to happen. I've been dreading this day for a few
years now, but today I finally got the call with the bad news about dad.

Dad wants a new digital camera.

It seems that his old Mavica just isn't giving him the quality pics he thinks
he deserves. He's also growing tired of carrying around all those 5.25"
floppies.
I don't know what his problem is since he can get almost 20 pics on each
floppy.
Perhaps my 20D galleries are starting to convince him that 1 megapixel won't
bring him digital nirvana.

So today he calls me up and tells me he needs my expert advice in choosing the
perfect camera for him.
My first question in such circumstances is always the same: "How much do you
wanna spend?"
He replied in the usual way: "As little as possible."
Everyone wants everything ... it's just that nobody wants to pay for it.

When I suggested a few price points ("less than $400", "less than $700"), he
stunned me with, "Oh I don't know .... maybe $1000 or at least less than
$2000."
I almost dropped the phone!

Two grand opens up a whole 'nother shelf to look at. In fact, I can probably
dump ....er, I mean .... transfer ownership of my Totally Digital D60, a proven
performer, and still have a few bucks left over for that macro lens. And
that's after the Annika Family Discount!
Hmmmm......

Dad must be getting senile as he even gave me his credit card # so I could
order him what "he" needs.
Now I'm sure dad would love the 600mm f/4 or maybe the 65mm MP-E Macro (with
the twin ring lights, of course!). And that new 16-35L is an automatic. Or
perhaps dad would prefer a series of "L" primes?
That 200 f/1.8L is supposed to be pretty sharp.
Decisions, decisions ....

I've been jonesing for the 24-70L ever since I saw those crystal clear tsunami
pics that tourist took with it and his 1Ds. So I could let dear old dad have
the D60 with my workhorse lens (the incredible 28-135 IS) and I could order one
of the 24-70L's for myself. Or perhaps since most of his shooting involves
real estate (both outside and inside) he might prefer the 20mm f/2.8? That
would be a nice fit on the Totally Digital D60. Or I could suggest a fixed
lens cammy like the Powershot Pro1.

Are there any digicams with larger LCD screens? I know he's gonna bitch at any
of the small screens I've seen. And I'll need to tell him to keep everything
in the green "P" mode for Perfect Pics.
And then he'll need a card reader .... and batteries ... and an extra CF card
or two.
This is gonna get ugly.....

More about : dad

Anonymous
January 29, 2005 6:20:18 AM

Annika1980 wrote:
> Well sports fans, it had to happen. I've been dreading this day for a few
> years now, but today I finally got the call with the bad news about dad.
>
> Dad wants a new digital camera.
>
> It seems that his old Mavica just isn't giving him the quality pics he thinks
> he deserves. He's also growing tired of carrying around all those 5.25"
> floppies.
> I don't know what his problem is since he can get almost 20 pics on each
> floppy.
> Perhaps my 20D galleries are starting to convince him that 1 megapixel won't
> bring him digital nirvana.
>
> So today he calls me up and tells me he needs my expert advice in choosing the
> perfect camera for him.
> My first question in such circumstances is always the same: "How much do you
> wanna spend?"
> He replied in the usual way: "As little as possible."
> Everyone wants everything ... it's just that nobody wants to pay for it.
>
> When I suggested a few price points ("less than $400", "less than $700"), he
> stunned me with, "Oh I don't know .... maybe $1000 or at least less than
> $2000."
> I almost dropped the phone!

I think if you're going to try and pawn second-hand stuff on your
father, you should be completely open about it. Show him what it sells
for on the open market, and how much you'll take for it. Prove to him
it works. If you want a $1000 set personally, ask for one. Don't
charge him $1000 for $600 worth of kit. It's not very nice. :)

The sort of person who's only moderately fed up with a 1MP camera which
takes floppies may not really want the complexity of a SLR set, or even
a top-end fixed-lens. He could get more camera than he could possibly
imagine for $200.

Perhaps you could take him to a camera shop so he can see what fits him
best. He may have nonobvious preferences, goals or constraints. The
more important thing to ask isn't price. Ask for his intended
application. Does he intend to do 36x48 enlargements? Will his targets
move fast (ie railfan or sport photography?) Will he need very close
focus (ie minatures or coins)? Does he anticipate getting a lot of
storage (to the point the price premium makes memory sticks or xd cards
nasty) Will he have problems with a camera which has small or difficult
to operate controls?

I think Sony and Casio do cameras which are promoted as having large
screens.
January 29, 2005 6:20:18 AM

After everything your dad did for you you want to SELL him your old camera?

Bad son, bad bad son!

I hope he spanked you good when he had the chance ;-)

Jean

"Annika1980" <annika1980@aol.com> a écrit dans le message de
> [...]
have
> the D60 with my workhorse lens (the incredible 28-135 IS) and I could
order one
> of the 24-70L's for myself. Or perhaps since most of his shooting
involves
> real estate (both outside and inside) he might prefer the 20mm f/2.8?
That
> would be a nice fit on the Totally Digital D60. Or I could suggest a
fixed
> lens cammy like the Powershot Pro1.
>
> Are there any digicams with larger LCD screens? I know he's gonna bitch
at any
> of the small screens I've seen. And I'll need to tell him to keep
everything
> in the green "P" mode for Perfect Pics.
> And then he'll need a card reader .... and batteries ... and an extra CF

January 29, 2005 6:20:18 AM

Annika1980 wrote:

> Well sports fans, it had to happen. I've been dreading this day for a few
> years now, but today I finally got the call with the bad news about dad.
>
> Dad wants a new digital camera.

[snip]

> Are there any digicams with larger LCD screens? I know he's gonna bitch at any
> of the small screens I've seen. And I'll need to tell him to keep everything
> in the green "P" mode for Perfect Pics.
> And then he'll need a card reader .... and batteries ... and an extra CF card
> or two.
> This is gonna get ugly.....

Given that your father's been happy until now with his Mavica, I doubt a
DSLR is the right choice for him :)

I'd first ask him or think about what he shoots, to see if he needs or
has use for a long zoom. From there, if you choose a camera that uses
CF, it's the cheapest per MB. Also consider that he may be perfectly
happy with a modest 3MP, with the attendant smaller storage demands.

If you can get more specific about his needs, you can narrow down your
range of candidates.

Lsia
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 6:20:18 AM

"Annika1980" <annika1980@aol.com> wrote in message

> Two grand opens up a whole 'nother shelf to look at. In fact, I can probably
> dump ....er, I mean .... transfer ownership of my Totally Digital D60, a proven
> performer, and still have a few bucks left over for that macro lens. And
> that's after the Annika Family Discount!
> Hmmmm......
>
> Dad must be getting senile as he even gave me his credit card # so I could
> order him what "he" needs.

GIVE him your D60, you ungrateful wretch!!!

;-)
January 29, 2005 6:20:19 AM

A perfect Camera for him from B&H, simple to use.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...

"Lisa Horton" <Lisa091704@lisahorton.net> wrote in message

> Annika1980 wrote:
> >
> > Well sports fans, it had to happen. I've been dreading this day for a
few
> > years now, but today I finally got the call with the bad news about dad.
> >
> > Dad wants a new digital camera.
> >

> [snip]
> >
> > Are there any digicams with larger LCD screens? I know he's gonna bitch
at any
> > of the small screens I've seen. And I'll need to tell him to keep
everything
> > in the green "P" mode for Perfect Pics.
> > And then he'll need a card reader .... and batteries ... and an extra CF
card
> > or two.
> > This is gonna get ugly.....
> >

> Given that your father's been happy until now with his Mavica, I doubt a
> DSLR is the right choice for him :)
>
> I'd first ask him or think about what he shoots, to see if he needs or
> has use for a long zoom. From there, if you choose a camera that uses
> CF, it's the cheapest per MB. Also consider that he may be perfectly
> happy with a modest 3MP, with the attendant smaller storage demands.
>
> If you can get more specific about his needs, you can narrow down your
> range of candidates.
>
> Lsia
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 6:20:19 AM

Jack Zeal wrote:
> Annika1980 wrote:
>
>> Well sports fans, it had to happen. I've been dreading this day for a
>> few
>> years now, but today I finally got the call with the bad news about dad.
>>
>> Dad wants a new digital camera.
>>
>> It seems that his old Mavica just isn't giving him the quality pics he
>> thinks
>> he deserves. He's also growing tired of carrying around all those 5.25"
>> floppies.
>> I don't know what his problem is since he can get almost 20 pics on each
>> floppy.
>> Perhaps my 20D galleries are starting to convince him that 1 megapixel
>> won't
>> bring him digital nirvana.
>>
>> So today he calls me up and tells me he needs my expert advice in
>> choosing the
>> perfect camera for him.
>> My first question in such circumstances is always the same: "How much
>> do you
>> wanna spend?"
>> He replied in the usual way: "As little as possible."
>> Everyone wants everything ... it's just that nobody wants to pay for it.
>>
>> When I suggested a few price points ("less than $400", "less than
>> $700"), he
>> stunned me with, "Oh I don't know .... maybe $1000 or at least less than
>> $2000."
>> I almost dropped the phone!
>

> I think if you're going to try and pawn second-hand stuff on your
> father, you should be completely open about it. Show him what it sells
> for on the open market, and how much you'll take for it. Prove to him
> it works. If you want a $1000 set personally, ask for one. Don't
> charge him $1000 for $600 worth of kit. It's not very nice. :)
>
> The sort of person who's only moderately fed up with a 1MP camera which
> takes floppies may not really want the complexity of a SLR set, or even
> a top-end fixed-lens. He could get more camera than he could possibly
> imagine for $200.
>
> Perhaps you could take him to a camera shop so he can see what fits him
> best. He may have nonobvious preferences, goals or constraints. The
> more important thing to ask isn't price. Ask for his intended
> application. Does he intend to do 36x48 enlargements? Will his targets
> move fast (ie railfan or sport photography?) Will he need very close
> focus (ie minatures or coins)? Does he anticipate getting a lot of
> storage (to the point the price premium makes memory sticks or xd cards
> nasty) Will he have problems with a camera which has small or difficult
> to operate controls?
>
> I think Sony and Casio do cameras which are promoted as having large
> screens.

Sony, I believe has the largest screens in the P&S category with Casio
and Kodak not far behind. These cameras are in the 5-6mp range, and
about $500. Spending $1000-$2000 these days puts you in the DSLR
category, which may be more that the OP's Dad wants, or needs. The
'feature shock' from moving from an old Mavica to such a camera might be
more than the guy's heart can stand!

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

Steve wrote:
> A perfect Camera for him from B&H, simple to use.
>
> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...

Believe it or not, I saw a guy at the US Presidential inaugration, in
the area reserved for Senators, using one of those things. I guess they
will be voting themselves another pay raise so he can afford a decent
camera.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 7:38:07 AM

Annika1980 wrote:

<snip>

> It seems that his old Mavica just isn't giving him the quality pics he thinks
> he deserves. He's also growing tired of carrying around all those 5.25"
> floppies.

<snip>

Hmmmm... wonder why he's carrying 5.25 inch floppies?

Ken
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 7:38:08 AM

In article <PqEKd.199222$8l.95938@pd7tw1no>, kweitzel@shaw.ca says...

> Annika1980 wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > It seems that his old Mavica just isn't giving him the quality pics he thinks
> > he deserves. He's also growing tired of carrying around all those 5.25"
> > floppies.
>
> <snip>
>
> Hmmmm... wonder why he's carrying 5.25 inch floppies?
>
> Ken

Medium format Mavica!
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 7:52:19 AM

"Annika1980" <annika1980@aol.com> wrote in message
> Well sports fans, it had to happen. I've been dreading this day for a few
> years now, but today I finally got the call with the bad news about dad.
>
> Dad wants a new digital camera.

Your Dad need an Olympus camera and you need to wait on Alan Browne and
Gordon Moat's reactions to some 24" x 36" pictures I sent them before you
buy another lens in the range of 24~70. That is of course, unless you both
have money to throw around and don't care where it lands! In which case
gimme the numbers.

FWIW Olympus are just about the finest digicams ever made. Certainly better
than any on offer from Canon. Pity their DSLRs are not. There is no real
need to edit images from these little juggers, just use Picassa instead of
the God awful Camedia rubbish that Oly give you and a discount (maybe $200
US) photo printer and Dad will love you like a son. Have a look at the
calendars I sent you and you'll see all the pictures shot by my wife. (They
got her name on 'em)! They are from a Oly C760 Ultra zoom. It's only problem
is shutter lag but the later models are better in that regard.

Doug
January 29, 2005 11:49:37 AM

Lisa Horton wrote:

> Given that your father's been happy until now with his Mavica, I doubt a
> DSLR is the right choice for him :)
>
> I'd first ask him or think about what he shoots, to see if he needs or
> has use for a long zoom. From there, if you choose a camera that uses
> CF, it's the cheapest per MB. Also consider that he may be perfectly
> happy with a modest 3MP, with the attendant smaller storage demands.
>
> If you can get more specific about his needs, you can narrow down your
> range of candidates.

Does he have a computer that can handle 6-8MP files? Does he have the
inclination to edit?
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 1:41:30 PM

Go ahead. Sell him the D60. And then prepare to spend the rest of your life
on the phone explaining the features, and how they work.

Or just get him the KM A2 and let him fend for himself.

> [...]
> have
> the D60 with my workhorse lens (the incredible 28-135 IS) and I could
> order one
> of the 24-70L's for myself. Or perhaps since most of his shooting
> involves
> real estate (both outside and inside) he might prefer the 20mm f/2.8?
> That
> would be a nice fit on the Totally Digital D60. Or I could suggest a
> fixed
> lens cammy like the Powershot Pro1.
>
> Are there any digicams with larger LCD screens? I know he's gonna bitch
> at any
> of the small screens I've seen. And I'll need to tell him to keep
> everything
> in the green "P" mode for Perfect Pics.
> And then he'll need a card reader .... and batteries ... and an extra CF

Anonymous
January 29, 2005 2:59:48 PM

what kind of photography is your Dad interested? Just sport?
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 6:23:04 PM

"Annika1980" <annika1980@aol.com> wrote:

> Dad wants a new digital camera.

So lend him your D60 and a lens or two and see if he likes it...

> When I suggested a few price points ("less than $400", "less than $700"),
he
> stunned me with, "Oh I don't know .... maybe $1000 or at least less than
> $2000."
> I almost dropped the phone!

See, he's smarter than you think. Never underestimate dad. He'll see through
you in an instant if you pull something fast.

FWIW, you should wait a month: there should be new versions of the 300D and
D70 out next month. Probably cheaper and/or more MP.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 6:40:08 PM

> he deserves. He's also growing tired of carrying around a­ll those
5.25"
> floppies.

Why would he want to do that? Does he carry data around whil­e taking
photographs?
=================
The floppies are what the Mavica uses to store the pics.
January 29, 2005 7:02:17 PM

My father does the same thing for me. Gives me his credit card number and
tells me to order him what he needs and what would be best for him. Since I
did all the research and foot work on trying to find the best camera for his
needs, he also bought me one too. We came up with the Nikon D70. I did own a
Canon Digital Rebel before and I was happy with that...but given the fact
the Nikon D70 gives you %100 control over it's functions and the Rebel did
not, I sold the Rebel on Ebay for a good price. Now, me and my dad have
Nikon D70 cameras and are enjoying them very much. With a standard lens
(kit) is was like $1100. Not a bad price for what you are getting. Good
luck!

> [...]
have
> the D60 with my workhorse lens (the incredible 28-135 IS) and I could
order one
> of the 24-70L's for myself. Or perhaps since most of his shooting
involves
> real estate (both outside and inside) he might prefer the 20mm f/2.8?
That
> would be a nice fit on the Totally Digital D60. Or I could suggest a
fixed
> lens cammy like the Powershot Pro1.
>
> Are there any digicams with larger LCD screens? I know he's gonna bitch
at any
> of the small screens I've seen. And I'll need to tell him to keep
everything
> in the green "P" mode for Perfect Pics.
> And then he'll need a card reader .... and batteries ... and an extra CF

Anonymous
January 29, 2005 7:47:18 PM

On 29 Jan 2005 03:20:17 GMT, annika1980@aol.com (Annika1980) wrote:

>Well sports fans, it had to happen. I've been dreading this day for a few
>years now, but today I finally got the call with the bad news about dad.
>
>Dad wants a new digital camera.
snipped for brevity.
Don't mess about buy a 1ds mk 2 and present it to him .he will soon be
overwhelmed by the learning curve that he will give it to you. Then
you give him the D60. and everybody will be happy!
eric phillips
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 7:47:19 PM

"eric phillips" <ericp@kooee.com.au> wrote in message
> On 29 Jan 2005 03:20:17 GMT, annika1980@aol.com (Annika1980) wrote:
>
>>Well sports fans, it had to happen. I've been dreading this day for a few
>>years now, but today I finally got the call with the bad news about dad.
>>
>>Dad wants a new digital camera.
> snipped for brevity.
> Don't mess about buy a 1ds mk 2 and present it to him .he will soon be
> overwhelmed by the learning curve that he will give it to you. Then
> you give him the D60. and everybody will be happy!
> eric phillips

Nice plan...but he'd run about 6 grand short of a 1Ds Mark II...
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 10:31:16 PM

> [...]
> have
> the D60 with my workhorse lens (the incredible 28-135 IS) and I could
> order one
> of the 24-70L's for myself. Or perhaps since most of his shooting
> involves
> real estate (both outside and inside) he might prefer the 20mm f/2.8?
> That
> would be a nice fit on the Totally Digital D60. Or I could suggest a
> fixed
> lens cammy like the Powershot Pro1.
>
> Are there any digicams with larger LCD screens? I know he's gonna bitch
> at any
> of the small screens I've seen. And I'll need to tell him to keep
> everything
> in the green "P" mode for Perfect Pics.
> And then he'll need a card reader .... and batteries ... and an extra CF

I'd give him the Totally Digital D60. You said it was sitting in the drawer
with the Fabulous EOS 1V doing nothing right?
If he's kidding about the amount to spend, some Canon Powershot cameras have
2" LCDs. Most LCDs are 1.5" or 1.8". A couple makes have an LCD that is
larger.
John
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 10:37:22 PM

> [...]
> have
> the D60 with my workhorse lens (the incredible 28-135 IS) and I could
> order one
> of the 24-70L's for myself. Or perhaps since most of his shooting
> involves
> real estate (both outside and inside) he might prefer the 20mm f/2.8?
> That
> would be a nice fit on the Totally Digital D60. Or I could suggest a
> fixed
> lens cammy like the Powershot Pro1.
>
> Are there any digicams with larger LCD screens? I know he's gonna bitch
> at any
> of the small screens I've seen. And I'll need to tell him to keep
> everything
> in the green "P" mode for Perfect Pics.
> And then he'll need a card reader .... and batteries ... and an extra CF

Just a thought. He probably remembers spending quite a bit on the Sony back
when it was new and thinks that he needs to spend much more for a good
camera if he doesn't keep up with that stuff.
John
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 2:16:53 AM

"Annika1980" <annika1980@aol.com> wrote in message
> he deserves. He's also growing tired of carrying around all those 5.25"
> floppies.

Why would he want to do that? Does he carry data around while taking
photographs?
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 5:57:52 AM

>From: "jean" try-to@find.it

>After everything your dad did for you you want to SELL him your old camera?
>
>Bad son, bad bad son!
>
>I hope he spanked you good when he had the chance ;-)

He used to beat me with his thin leather belt. Payback's a bitch.
January 30, 2005 5:57:53 AM

How about a pic of the scars with the awsome totally digital 20D?

> >From: "jean" try-to@find.it
>
> >After everything your dad did for you you want to SELL him your old
camera?

> >Bad son, bad bad son!
> >
> >I hope he spanked you good when he had the chance ;-)
>
> He used to beat me with his thin leather belt. Payback's a bitch.

January 30, 2005 5:57:54 AM

jean wrote:

> How about a pic of the scars with the awsome totally digital 20D?

Yeah1! The 20D and Scarface!!

(sorry Bret, couldn't resist) :) )

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 22:55:55 -0800, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
number here)@cox..net> wrote:

>"eric phillips" <ericp@kooee.com.au> wrote in message
>> On 29 Jan 2005 03:20:17 GMT, annika1980@aol.com (Annika1980) wrote:
>>
>>>Well sports fans, it had to happen. I've been dreading this day for a few
>>>years now, but today I finally got the call with the bad news about dad.
>>>
>>>Dad wants a new digital camera.
>> snipped for brevity.
>> Don't mess about buy a 1ds mk 2 and present it to him .he will soon be
>> overwhelmed by the learning curve that he will give it to you. Then
>> you give him the D60. and everybody will be happy!
>> eric phillips
>
>Nice plan...but he'd run about 6 grand short of a 1Ds Mark II...

It's only money. :)
eric phillips
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 8:07:54 PM

>The floppies are what the Mavica uses to store the pics.

I'll bet it doesn't use 5.25 inch floppies though. 3 and a (­half? I
think)
is likely.

I don't know. It's pretty damn old.
I can remember using 8" floppies on a computer back in the 80's.
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 8:08:03 PM

>The floppies are what the Mavica uses to store the pics.

I'll bet it doesn't use 5.25 inch floppies though. 3 and a (half? I think)
is likely.
February 1, 2005 12:57:02 AM

>I don't know. It's pretty damn old.
>I can remember using 8" floppies on a computer back in the 80's.
An 80s computer is hardly a Mavica, and vice versa.
!