PSU Can't figure it out

Mrsh4dy

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
I currently have a Zalman ZM600-HP with my current system it is more then adequate, however with a new system coming up I am most worried about the requirements of my new gpu (AMD radeon 6950). It requires two 75W 6 pin PCI Express connectors which it sort of has (it's an sli ready psu with 2 6pin pci express connectors) however what about watts I just can't seem to figure out if it is has enough (not that great with the electrical side of things).

Link to zalman website:
http://www.zalman.com/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=196

I could really use some explaining about it since I rather not fry my new card.
Hope you guys can help me.
Thanks for reading.

PS: My apologies if this is a uber n00b question I am just a confused little b..guy:p

Mrsh4dy

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
I have faith in the amount of total wattage my problem lies in the 75watt per pci express connecter. I don't know if it has that and the zalman site doesn't give me any answers either.
I would think it should provide enough but it's not something I want to risk my 260bucks gfx card on. I already fried 1 gfx card before because I was being ill advised and I'm trying to avoide a repeat.

You have 4 12 volt rails capable of 16 amps each, meaning each rail (including the PCI-Express connecters) is capable of 192 watts but the max total for all 4 of the 12v rails is 504 watts. Which is more than is needed by your graphics card.

(The PCI-Express connecters are on the 12v rails, which is listed in that link)

TL;DR You are good to go.

Mrsh4dy

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Thanks a lot I never understood these basics (haven't had physics in a long long time) and this makes everything perfectly clear.
kudos to you sir.

chnathan

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008

Right. Regardless though, the PSU should be sufficient for a 6950.