Sign in with
Your question

Screen Issues: laggy/jumpy scrolling and moving

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 22, 2010 11:19:42 PM

About 3 weeks ago I had my computer freeze up on me. The system froze and my screen artifacted while playing a MMO. I shut down and restarted. It came up, but had white lines/dots all over the BIOS and windows load screens. At that point I shut it down and said I'd get around to it later. Well, later happened a few days ago. I opened up my comp and blew the dust out (was very much) and looked for any signs of overheating or the like and found none. I plugged the comp back in and started it up, same as before, but once it reached the log in screen and once in windows, it no longer shows the white lines/dots. I noticed that the lines/dots don't always show up either.

I've tested several things to try to determine the actual problem and have yet to find a solution (other than my MB being screwed).

I've tested:
*each stick of ram in all 4 different slots, no change
*different video card, still had the laggy/jumpy issues, but white dots/lines seemed to go away (so reinstalled 8800GT, friend said that the gpu he let me test with might have been the one he had heat issues with. I tend to think so as it would shut down within 5 mins of the computer running)
*updated drivers for my 8800 GT, no change
*removed some HDDs and other drives from PSU in hopes of maybe diagnosing it as a PSU problem
*changed PSU, no change

Any ideas on what else to try aside from moving everything over to my other MB and testing it all from there? I'm going to build a new pc in the next 3-4 months, but I was hoping that I'd be able to use this one as a backup/secondary gaming machine. GF has been itching to slay some Zombies in LFD2 and I don't want to delay my "in" on getting her hooked on gaming. :D 

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I have tried adjusting resolution and color detail. Neither have helped. Also, the lag on mousewheel scrolling is not noticeable say on this forums page, but if there is a picture (or pictures) like on the Yahoo! home page, I get the lag when scrolling. It is also visible when I open a window/folder and try to drag it around my desktop.

More about : screen issues laggy jumpy scrolling moving

November 23, 2010 2:11:16 AM

First off all tell me what your system specs are.
m
l
November 23, 2010 11:29:11 AM

Will get more specific once back at home, I have forgotten a lot of what exactly I have as it's been a while since I've delved into my computer. I was unable to find the post(s) I had made previous where my rig was listed.

Some things I was able to locate on Newegg.com for previous purchases, but not all items are showing.

Athlon dual core (I think it's a S939)

A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model AD1U400A1G3-DRH34640573 (N82E16820211014)

MSI mobo

ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels PCI Express x1 Interface Sound Card34640573 (N82E16829132006)

BFG 8800GT
m
l
Related resources
November 23, 2010 3:21:24 PM

From the info you have told me here i cant really help you much i really need to know all the specs. Here are somethings that might fix the problem:
Install the latest drivers for your video card
make sure you have a powersupply that has enough power to FULLY power all your hardware at max load
And make sure you computer is virus free, I know this is an old saying but trust me Viruses can slow down your computer. viruses tend to work in the background but consume lots of power form your CPU which might be the problem.
m
l
November 23, 2010 3:42:36 PM

As I stated above, I have already installed the latest drivers. The powersupply is not an issue either, it's actually a better one than what I had before. The only thing I haven't done is a virus scan, I will attempt this tonight and report back.
m
l
November 23, 2010 9:03:14 PM

Ahhh my bad i forgot about those but do the virus scan and also let me know what your CPU usage is during IDLE (hold Ctrl+Shift and Esc and go on tab performance).
m
l
December 2, 2010 1:02:58 PM

psychoactivist said:
Ahhh my bad i forgot about those but do the virus scan and also let me know what your CPU usage is during IDLE (hold Ctrl+Shift and Esc and go on tab performance).

Sorry about the delay, holidays and all kept me busy.

Last night I was about to begin pulling everything out and installing my old mobo to see if that was the issue. I got lazy and plugged in an older PC to the monitor. Lag issue still existed! So, apparently it's my monitor that has gone bad? Had no idea that could affect things like it has been. So, I played around a bit with it it showed the jumpiness and lag that I mentioned previously, but the artifacting on the startup screens didn't show up no matter how many times I restarted and replugged things.

SO, that leads me to believe that my monitor is down for the count AND there is something wrong with my current PC. I guess I still need to make the swap out to the other mobo and see if that does anything. Though I'm leaning to something being wrong with the current video card since the artifacting didn't show up on the other PC or when the other video card was installed on the current PC. Once I get another monitor to test, I'll know if the video card is completely messed or not. I'm sure the artifacting will still be there, but I'm not sure how it'll affect gameplay (if at all).

Are there any ways to test to see how capable my video card is compared to how it should be? I've never done much diagnostic stuff on video cards as I've never had a problem with them before. Either my computer got outdated and upgraded or something else went wrong before I ever had the problem with the video card.
m
l
!