Audio Recording

knuckle47

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Hey All,

I am using multitrack recording software : Cubase 6. Additionally I use numerous audio plugin's...virtual instruments and samples. These are power hungry pieces and after 5 years, starting to get the best of my ASUS P5Q...4gb Win 7 x64 build. I am using a simple quad core 2.33gHz Intel cpu and 4 - 500gb WD Caviar drives. A TI firewire card connects my audio interface, a MOTU 896HD to the motherboard

I have not kept up on the new mobos and processors but the time has come to make another change. A good friend told me 20 years ago to buy the best processor you can afford so you can get a few upgrades behind you before it obsoletes itself. This has been a pretty good run and if the audio application had not become my biggest usage, I would still keep this thing for everyday use.

I was looking into some new equipment but the myriad of stuff is overwhelming. Once I get to a point of a new board and processor, a newer issue is available at a better performance variable. I need to get the best value for the buck but also wish to build a fast unresrticted computer that will hold up to the demands for another 2-3 years. Your suggestions are appreciated

Thanks AL

Solution
Hi Al, Personally i would wait till the end of this year when you will likely have 8 core bulldozers and possibly 8 core Ivy Bridge CPU's with quad channel RAM. I use my system for ProTools and will be waiting to see what happens at the end of this year. Also it is likely the new MB will have native USB 3, which will be utilised heavily in the next gen audio interface cards.

metallifux

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Hi Al, Personally i would wait till the end of this year when you will likely have 8 core bulldozers and possibly 8 core Ivy Bridge CPU's with quad channel RAM. I use my system for ProTools and will be waiting to see what happens at the end of this year. Also it is likely the new MB will have native USB 3, which will be utilised heavily in the next gen audio interface cards.

Solution

knuckle47

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Well, thank you for the insight and reply. I have waited and was starting to fell like the dust has settled around these processors and motherboards. Clearly your comments are well thought and make logocal sense. I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

Funny thing is 20 years ago, your selection was essentially whatever the new faster processor was and more ram. Stuff in all in the case and your ready to go.

AL

metallifux

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010

no worries buddy only 2 more months to wait until the dust should settle!

knuckle47

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Hey Mouse, I'm sure you have heard the joke that Paul McCartney had another band before wings???

Best advice ....time really flies. I used to be 25 only a few years ago..now I'm 55 and all I did was blink a few times