Tags:
  • New Build
  • Performance
  • Components
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
January 21, 2011 9:24:47 PM

Hello everyone. I've been trying to bring my computer up to speed after disappointment with its performance in black ops. At this point, I've nearly replaced everything. Except now- with the new components. World of Warcraft gets 25 FPS on Ultra settings.

First off, I'll list my specs:

Radeon HD 6850: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Phenom II 955 3.2 GHz (at 3.9 GHz): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
8 GB DDR3 RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Biostar Motherboard : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
750w Power Supply

Now, to begin. When I got all these new components I reformatted my hard-drive with Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate. All my drivers are updated, and I'm getting unsatisfactory performance in both WoW and Black Ops, however, BFBC2 Vietnam performs very well on all high settings. Also of note- I have 2 monitors, both of which are on 1920x1080. I don't use Eyefinity, so when gaming it's on one display with ventrilo/steam on the other.

I bought this card/RAM/new processor in the hopes that I'd be able to run things on high, and I can. It's just low FPS, and inconsistent at that. Since I replaced all these parts all at once, I don't know whether one is faulty or not, and I thought I'd ask the Tomshardware community what they think is up with my PC.

Side note: Catalyst Control Center is on High Performance as well.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm sitting here down a couple hundred dollars feeling like a complete idiot.

More about : poor performance components

January 21, 2011 9:52:02 PM

you got all the right tools, sounds like you have some settings out of whack or some bad drivers. 1st thing to do is slow down your CPU to a stable 3.6GHz @ 1.4-1.425volts. All that ram is nice, but it's overkill even for todays games. I only used 8GB RAM when I was running 3-4 clients in Everquest2. Check your northbridge and HT settings. The NB should be 2000[Auto] - 2200, the the HT should be no more than 2000[AUTO]or 1800+MHz. now check your RAM settings, make sure it's running at 1600MHz or 8x in the bios. Set the timing manually to the advertise speeds, I dont rely on AUTO or SPD.

After all that is verified, run 3dmark 06, I assume you should crack a 17,000 at stock settings and maybe up to 20,000 Overclocked and stable, then try 3dmark Vantage, My system is very close to yours (I have a 6870) and my Vantage score is in the upper 16k range. Feel free to email me!
m
l
January 21, 2011 11:45:06 PM

madbiker said:
you got all the right tools, sounds like you have some settings out of whack or some bad drivers. 1st thing to do is slow down your CPU to a stable 3.6GHz @ 1.4-1.425volts. All that ram is nice, but it's overkill even for todays games. I only used 8GB RAM when I was running 3-4 clients in Everquest2. Check your northbridge and HT settings. The NB should be 2000[Auto] - 2200, the the HT should be no more than 2000[AUTO]or 1800+MHz. now check your RAM settings, make sure it's running at 1600MHz or 8x in the bios. Set the timing manually to the advertise speeds, I dont rely on AUTO or SPD.

After all that is verified, run 3dmark 06, I assume you should crack a 17,000 at stock settings and maybe up to 20,000 Overclocked and stable, then try 3dmark Vantage, My system is very close to yours (I have a 6870) and my Vantage score is in the upper 16k range. Feel free to email me!

I couldn't find where to modify the memory in my BIOS (I checked every page). Here's a screenshot of my AMD Overdrive.

(the current speed DOES go up while launching apps) I just logged off WoW and I have 30 less FPS than my buddies who are a generation behind me component wise (GTX 260 and Radeon 4870) on ultra.

I don't know why this is happening, but I am frustrated to no end. I checked the NB and the HT and they're where they should be. I'm downloading 3Dmark right now but it's gonna take 30m. I'll post my results afterward.
m
l
Related resources
January 22, 2011 10:52:39 PM

Bump? In dire need of ideas here. I'm at the end of my rope.
m
l
January 26, 2011 12:12:53 AM

your 3dmark score looks about right for bone stock. There are some free utilities out there that can give you some details (CPUZ & GPUZ) These will show speeds at which your CPU is running (it will fluctuate with cool&quiet on) mem speeds, timings, and GPUZ will let you know more info on your 6950(like if you are running at 16x)

Funny thing about all this, WoW isnt an intense game, shouldnt be running slow at all....

one last thing, did you slow your CPU to a 3.6-3.7 range?
m
l
January 26, 2011 12:16:26 AM

looks like your RAM is running a little slow at DDR1333 Speeds vs. 1600 it should be at and your CPU cores arnt all running at the same speed, looks like core 0 is bumped a 1 notch higher than the others, run all the cores at like 3.7or so
m
l
January 26, 2011 3:03:58 AM

I RMA'd the 6850 and put my old GTX 260 in. Double FPS increase. I think I found the culprit.
m
l
January 26, 2011 3:19:08 AM

I hear ya, but still your memory isnt running at full speed and your CPU speed is a little whacked too.
m
l
!