AOL discontinuing Newsgroup access !

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 29, 2005 6:22:05 AM

AOL has informed users that in early 2005 that service will stop access to
Newsgroups. Bummer. Sure, I can get to Newsgroups using the new Google
"Groups" feature or thru IE.....but the AOL format for Usenet is much easier to
read and manage. Send AOL a nasty email if this bothers you too.
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 6:22:06 AM

> Sure, I can get to Newsgroups using th­e new Google
> "Groups" feature

Can you filter stuff on Google Groups? I'm using it but can't find the
filtering and now I'm seeing a lot of posts from turkeys I was able to
filter out via AOL :)
January 29, 2005 6:22:06 AM

"Sam Ormes" <sormes@aol.com> wrote in message
> AOL has informed users that in early 2005 that service will stop access to
> Newsgroups. Bummer. Sure, I can get to Newsgroups using the new Google
> "Groups" feature or thru IE.....but the AOL format for Usenet is much
easier to
> read and manage. Send AOL a nasty email if this bothers you too.

I could send a nasty letter asking AOL to TOS you for posting an off-topic
and off-charter post to this group....
January 29, 2005 6:22:06 AM

In article <20050128222205.12925.00000235@mb-m11.aol.com>, Sam Ormes
<sormes@aol.com> wrote:

> AOL has informed users that in early 2005 that service will stop access to
> Newsgroups. Bummer. Sure, I can get to Newsgroups using the new Google
> "Groups" feature or thru IE.....but the AOL format for Usenet is much easier
> read and manage. Send AOL a nasty email if this bothers you too.

Ever think of getting a REAL ISP?
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 6:22:07 AM

In article <RcidnYs3YptJnmbcRVn-3w@rogers.com>, Darrell wrote:

> "Sam Ormes" <sormes@aol.com> wrote in message
> > AOL has informed users that in early 2005 that service will stop access to
> > Newsgroups. Bummer. Sure, I can get to Newsgroups using the new Google
> > "Groups" feature or thru IE.....but the AOL format for Usenet is much
> easier to
> > read and manage. Send AOL a nasty email if this bothers you too.
>
> I could send a nasty letter asking AOL to TOS you for posting an off-topic
> and off-charter post to this group....

he posted this to a LOT of groups.

a perfect example of why it is *good* aol is killing off newsgroup
access.
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 7:29:31 AM

"Darrell" <dev/null> wrote in message

> "Sam Ormes" <sormes@aol.com> wrote in message
> > AOL has informed users that in early 2005 that service will stop access
> > Newsgroups. Bummer. Sure, I can get to Newsgroups using the new Google
> > "Groups" feature or thru IE.....but the AOL format for Usenet is much
> easier to
> > read and manage. Send AOL a nasty email if this bothers you too.
>
> I could send a nasty letter asking AOL to TOS you for posting an off-topic
> and off-charter post to this group....

Hey that'd be good. Then we'd lose both of you!

Doug
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 9:28:32 AM

sormes@aol.com (Sam Ormes) wrote in

> AOL has informed users that in early 2005 that service will stop
> access to Newsgroups.

Long past time.

> Bummer. Sure, I can get to Newsgroups using
> the new Google "Groups" feature or thru IE.....but the AOL format for
> Usenet is much easier to read and manage.

No, it's pretty much the absolute worst excuse for newsreader software ever
conceived. Why so many people paid a premium to subject themselves to it
for years, then whined when someone used multipart binaries, yEnc, or just
because they could never find anything would probably make an interesting
study in deviant psychology.

> Send AOL a nasty email if
> this bothers you too.

AOL's entire take on usenet has bothered me for years, and they never
listened.

Until now.
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 12:32:25 PM

<sormes@aol.com> wrote:

> AOL has informed users that in early 2005 that service will stop access to
> Newsgroups. Bummer. Sure, I can get to Newsgroups using the new Google
> "Groups" feature or thru IE.....but the AOL format for Usenet is much easier
> to read and manage. Send AOL a nasty email if this bothers you too.

I'm flabbergasted. Someone actually LIKES the way AOL handled usenet?
On the rare occasion I actually used it, it was like punding my head on
concrete - it seemd deliberately designed to be as awkward as possibe
to discourage its use.

Please, if AOL seems good to you, either get counseling or try an
actual newsreader (with a real newsgroup service).
January 29, 2005 1:24:13 PM

In article <290120050932251174%not@aol.com>, Scott Schuckert
<not@aol.com> wrote:

> I'm flabbergasted. Someone actually LIKES the way AOL handled usenet?
> On the rare occasion I actually used it, it was like punding my head on
> concrete - it seemd deliberately designed to be as awkward as possibe
> to discourage its use.
>
> Please, if AOL seems good to you, either get counseling or try an
> actual newsreader (with a real newsgroup service).

They have never used anything else. They just don't know better. They
don't even know what a newsgroup is. Same thing with webtv users. They
think it is the greatest when it is the worst!

--
Charles
Anonymous

They have a Usenet (newsgroups) gateway at this site, just follow the links to the Forum area. It's photography related only.

http://talkphoto.net

Chas

January 29, 2005 6:59:14 PM

Using Google to access and read the newsgroups is difficult. Not intended
for personalization or any archiving at all. Signing up for a news service
is the only way to go...AOL, having trouble in the ISP world had to cut some
services from it's online service to stay in business. Any ISP that doesn't
have usenet service isn't worth looking into. Even though my ISP gives me
access to a very good news server, I still pay and subscribe to a usenet
service for better retention, higher speeds and good binaries. Sorry to hear
that some AOL user's will be dropped....but I do hope they find alternative
ways to jump back on.

Also, if you are searching for a usenet service I highly recommend Forte.
Even though I do not use their reader, their usenet service is very good. I
use their unlimited broadband.
http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

"Sam Ormes" <sormes@aol.com> wrote in message
> AOL has informed users that in early 2005 that service will stop access to
> Newsgroups. Bummer. Sure, I can get to Newsgroups using the new Google
> "Groups" feature or thru IE.....but the AOL format for Usenet is much
easier to
> read and manage. Send AOL a nasty email if this bothers you too.
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 10:32:44 PM

In article <423bdb90ed6c482187e3befda79f4870@PhotoKB.com>, chas raster
via PhotoKB.com says...
> They have a Usenet (newsgroups) gateway at this site, just follow the links to the Forum area. It's photography related only.
>
> http://talkphoto.net

Nice project. Unfortunately vBulletin doesn't also mirror the thread
structure, i.e. all posts are sequentialised and the tree structure is
lost.
--

Alfred Molon
January 29, 2005 11:38:54 PM

>Subject: Re: AOL discontinuing Newsgroup access !
>From: Alfred Molon alfred_molonREMOVE@yahoo.com
>Date: 1/29/2005 10:32 A.M. Pacific Standard Time
>
>In article <423bdb90ed6c482187e3befda79f4870@PhotoKB.com>, chas raster
>via PhotoKB.com says...
>> They have a Usenet (newsgroups) gateway at this site, just follow the links
>to the Forum area. It's photography related only.
>>
>> http://talkphoto.net
>
>Nice project. Unfortunately vBulletin doesn't also mirror the thread
>structure, i.e. all posts are sequentialised and the tree structure is
>lost.
>--
>
>Alfred Molon
>------------------------------

If I dump AOL where should I go for easy newsgroup access?

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 6:35:21 AM

Hmmm, I'm not really sure what you mena (?) If you click on a newsgroup at that forum, you will see each thread and all it's replies grouped under one post with the 'reply' totals over on the right side. Click on a post and you see the original post and all the replies. Furthermore, if you becoem a member you can click 'reply' and your post will end up on the Usenet in the approprioate thread and newsgroup.
Try it out and see,

Chas.

http://talkphoto.net

January 30, 2005 9:56:33 PM

Re: AOL discontinuing Newsgroup access !

Group: rec.photo.digital Date: Sat, Jan 29, 2005, 10:24am (CST+1) From:
fort514@mac.com

(Charles) wrote:
They have never used anything else. They just don't know better. They
don't even know what a newsgroup is.

Same thing with webtv users. They think it is the greatest when it is
the worst!
==========================

Are you sure about that?
http://community-2.webtv.net/AnOvercomer02/doc1/

Cody,

http://community-2.webtv.net/AnOvercomer02/PhotographyL...
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 3:58:52 AM

AOL is trash. Once a user gets some experience (if the person logs a
reasonable amount of use) they will find a real ISP.

Sam Ormes wrote:

>AOL has informed users that in early 2005 that service will stop access to
>Newsgroups. Bummer. Sure, I can get to Newsgroups using the new Google
>"Groups" feature or thru IE.....but the AOL format for Usenet is much easier to
>read and manage. Send AOL a nasty email if this bothers you too.

February 3, 2005 2:01:46 AM

On 29 Jan 2005 03:22:05 GMT
In message <20050128222205.12925.00000235@mb-m11.aol.com>
Posted from AOL http://www.aol.com
sormes@aol.com (Sam Ormes) wrote:

> AOL has informed users that in early 2005 that
> service will stop access to Newsgroups.

Watch how the trolls crawl out of their AOL
hiding places. I wonder if they know how
tight the ties are between google and various
international investigation agencies...

(They won't care until the inevitable happens;-)

Jeff
!