Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I7 920 Temp

Last response: in CPUs
April 18, 2011 10:26:50 PM

I'm having some odd temp issues with a non overclocked i7 920 CPU with a stock cooler. At idle I get around 40-45, and under 100% load I get 95-100C. I've read around and can't really come up with a solution.

Before anyone asks, the cooler is seated properly, I'm positive.

I just reapplied thermal paste to see if that helped, and again before anyone asks, it was a pea size amount.

No there isn't any plastic in between, and I'm no novice to system building.

The fan is working, and at idle it's running at 60% speed, and 100% under load.

I'm using Core Temp and HWMonitor for my monitoring software.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be going on? I've reset my BIOS to defaults just to make sure there was no OC sleeping by me.

I don't have the money for a new cooler at the moment, and am looking for any other solutions people might offer.

Thanks.

More about : 920 temp

April 18, 2011 10:38:22 PM

1st - What does the BIOS say about idle temp?
2nd - Are you sure you don't have a negative air-pressure situation at the fan intake? i.e. Are all the fans near your CPU pulling air away, or a mix of fans pushing and pulling?
3rd - Is the fan blowing out of the case?
m
l
April 18, 2011 10:59:39 PM

1st: BIOS reports 45C and is blowing at 1483RPMs
2nd: Yes, I'm sure there is no airflow problems, two intake and two exhaust. Also, taking the side pannel off and letting the heatsink blow straight out and it will still hit 100C
3rd: 2nd should explain, but yes, two fans blowing out, one on top and one in the back.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 19, 2011 12:12:43 AM

What's your ambient (temp in your room) and what CPU cooler are you using? Stock? That still shouldn't go over 80C load at defaults.

Are you looking at core temps or CPUTIN? Sometimes the CPUTIN offset is wrong. You can manually adjust it on many motherboards.
m
l
April 19, 2011 1:09:18 AM

dalauder said:
What's your ambient (temp in your room) and what CPU cooler are you using? Stock? That still shouldn't go over 80C load at defaults.

Are you looking at core temps or CPUTIN? Sometimes the CPUTIN offset is wrong. You can manually adjust it on many motherboards.

Ambient is 70F or 21C.

It's a stock cooler.

I'm looking at the core temps.

Here are some images if you don't buy it:

m
l
a b à CPUs
April 19, 2011 1:54:41 AM

I believed you after you said "core temps". I was just hoping you were wrong because it's an easier fix. Based off of your temps, you should reseat your heatsink since it's not transferring heat evenly. But that probably wouldn't do more than drop your temps to 90C.

The possibility exists that your 9800GTX+'s exhaust enough heat into the case to create problems. Considering your ambient is 20C lower than mine and my CPU runs 10C lower at idle (i7-930@3.8GHz), airflow and temps might be able to account for it. I have an aftermarket cooler and an externally exhausting GPU.

In order to pinpoint the cause, let's figure out what you measure load temps with. Prime95 works graphics, right? Try switching to LinX instead. It only works the CPU and you can find out if your temps go as high with your GPU idling. Also, try pulling out a GPU. If your load temps with a single idling graphics card are significantly lower, then we know you have a hot air and airflow problem.

If this doesn't fix it...pull off the side door to your case and blow a fan in. See if temps drop then. If so, you have a case fan problem.

TJmax is 100C for an i7, so 98C shouldn't kill it if it's only for 20 seconds during tests today. But you let it sit at that gaming, so we'll need to figure out a way to use both graphics cards and keep it cool. Let me know how these tests go.
m
l
April 19, 2011 2:43:49 AM

Since we are only referring to heat, I can run a Folding@home test, on both the GPU and CPU. With that in mind monitoring the heat with all three of those monitoring programs that I showed it should be pretty accurate, seeing that starting a CPU folding project does not work the GPU what so ever.

To test your theory, I opened the case and I simply put a piece of paper inside separating the GPUs and CPU (almost like a heat shield), let the GPUs fully cool down to idle temp, and ran Folding@home. Granted paper is not the greatest reflector of heat, but I'm not about to put in tinfoil and short my GPU out.

After that, I watched my CPU temp slowly climb up to 97, at which point I felt I had tested enough (only took a minute or two).

I should note that the fan seems to be running at 75% at idle... Not sure what that is about but I feel it should be lower, perhaps 20-30? Also, when it starts to heat up, I only hear one jump up in speed, from 75%-100%, and the whole time it is very quite (which either could be the fact that stock i7 coolers are quite beyond belief, or that 100% is not actually 100%). It's almost as if 75% is actually 30%, at least it doesn't feel to be moving as much air as I feel it should be at 75% speed (my case fans move 3 times more air), and that 100% is more like 50%, I know that seems odd, but to me it almost feels as if the motor is calibrated wrong and spinning at oddly low speeds, almost like its offset improperly.

You said something about it not being placed properly, I can assure that it is, I just remounted it and took the mobo out and watched the pins push though and lock.

I took two fans off the side of the case and held them directly blowing onto the CPU, which slowly helped it to drop. Everything in my mind is pointing to either some bad sensor, or some faulty connection between the heatsink and the CPU itself, but I don't see how that could be. I use Arctic Silver 5 for my compound, and from what I've read it's good stuff. I'm also sure that it's on there right, and fully locked.

The only other test I would like to run is using a high powered fan on the cpu, seeing that my case fans don't move a whole lot of air and see if that would make it drop (disproving a bad connection).

Anyway, thanks for the continued help.
m
l
April 19, 2011 4:03:13 AM

You sure you can't scrape together $30 and buy a Hyper 212+? That would likely solve these issues with minimal headache....
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 19, 2011 4:20:54 AM

CPU Fan--how do you have it set in the bios. Change it from Auto to manual, if it isn't already, and set it to stay at 100% all the time (just to see if it's really been running at 100%). See if it impacts temps.

Mounted improperly--that's not exactly what I meant. What I meant is when all cores don't have the same max temp, it means they don't all have exactly the same contact with the heatsink (or uneven thermal paste). My machine runs one core 8C hotter than the coolest and I've been meaning to reseat it for some time.

Other fans--yeah, just remove your side panel and put a box fan from your house (if you have one) in there.

You're welcome, btw.

When you get a chance, you may as well just buy a Hyper 212+ CPU cooler. It's both one of the best and one of the cheapest. And it fits any socket too.
m
l
April 19, 2011 11:33:36 AM

Applying more thermal paste without fully removing the first coat can cause significant heat issues. Did you wipe both sides with high grade isopropyl alcohol before you added the pea sized amount?
m
l
April 19, 2011 1:40:41 PM

Change the CPU fan to run at 100% manual, and got a big house fan and had that blowing on it too, the idle temps were 60-65C. I didn't even test under load because those idle temps are way too high.

I used 50% isopropyl alcohol to clean it, I know it isn't the highest grade but both surfaces were spotless. I applied the pea sized amount at the direct center.

This all doesn't make sense... As I said before everything is pointing to a bad connection, and as I said before I don't see how that's possible... With a large fan blowing on it, the CPU fan at 100% and the CPU sitting at idle, I shouldn't be seeing any 60s (at least I don't think so).
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
April 19, 2011 10:58:58 PM

I just reseated my i7-930 in 90F weather without cleaning off the thermal paste or reapplying and I only get 50C idle or so. I'm not gonna load it until I have time to reapply the thermal paste. I thought yours used to idle at 45C, what changed?

Your heatsink sits very firmly on the socket, right? I mean it doesn't jiggle at all if you try to jiggle it. Sorry to bug you about that again, but you're right that it sounds like a bad CPU to heatsink connection.

It doesn't sound to me like it would fix your problem, but you may as well buy a Hyper 212+ to see since regardless of what you do in the next 6 months, you'll want one and it will fit your socket.
April 20, 2011 12:11:18 AM

dalauder said:
I just reseated my i7-930 in 90F weather without cleaning off the thermal paste or reapplying and I only get 50C idle or so. I'm not gonna load it until I have time to reapply the thermal paste. I thought yours used to idle at 45C, what changed?

Your heatsink sits very firmly on the socket, right? I mean it doesn't jiggle at all if you try to jiggle it. Sorry to bug you about that again, but you're right that it sounds like a bad CPU to heatsink connection.

It doesn't sound to me like it would fix your problem, but you may as well buy a Hyper 212+ to see since regardless of what you do in the next 6 months, you'll want one and it will fit your socket.

It did used to idle at 45C, and I'm asking myself the same question "what happened" seeing that today when I turned it on it was idling at 65-75C.

The heatsink was firmly in place, and I say was because I finally had enough and took my whole system apart, taking the heatsink off the CPU revealed a perfect application of the thermal paste. I now have a bigger issue of a RMA board, which I am in the process of getting replaced. I don't know if the two are related, but I doubt it.

Thanks again for the help, and I will report back once I get my motherboard issue solved.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 22, 2011 1:10:52 AM

Any improvement?
m
l
April 22, 2011 2:13:52 AM

I was accepted for the RMA the day after I applied, I just shipped the board back yesterday, and it should get to them by Tuesday. They do a three day shipping method, so I should get a new board by the end of next week.

I will update this thread once I get the motherboard back and have a chance to test it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2011 5:36:38 AM

How'd that go?
m
l
May 2, 2011 10:28:42 AM

dalauder said:
How'd that go?

Trust me I haven't forgot about this forum, I haven't got the motherboard back yet, but it will be here Tuesday and I will report back as soon as I know.
m
l
May 4, 2011 3:28:42 AM

I got the new motherboard, and incidentally a new heatsink. New temps are 60C at max, and 40C at idle about. I know getting the new heatsink somewhat makes the original issue invalid, but I'm not going to take off the new one to try the old one just to prove a point. The original heatink was the issue, not 100% sure what the issue was, but I'm 99% sure it was the heatsink that was causing the high temps, it simply wasn't cooling properly.

Thanks a lot for all the help, I really appreciate it.
m
l
May 4, 2011 3:29:01 AM

Best answer selected by kshawkeye.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 6, 2011 12:03:56 AM

Wow...the stock cooler was that bad? It must've been defective or something.
m
l
!