Sign in with
Your question

Quad cores over duel cores?

Last response: in CPUs
April 18, 2011 10:48:32 PM

Hey guys

Ive been looking into a new computer for gaming, but im having trouble understanding the cpu's
I see on alot of games requirements, they often ask for cpu's which run at 3.00ghz. However ive been seeing quad core cpu's (Phenomz II x4 for example) which run at around 2.6ghz.

would a slow quad core be better then a faster duel core?

also does anyone have any suggestions for a good cpu at a standard budget? something like an i5 would be the maximum i would go for (around the £60 mark)

any answers would be greatly,greatly appreciated

More about : quad cores duel cores

a b à CPUs
April 18, 2011 10:54:47 PM

£60 or £160?
£60 doesn't leave you with much choices; the Athlon X3 is the best you could get, which is actually great CPU for the money.

On to the cores, most modern games do utilize 4 cores and a quad would do you good. But most games favor a good GPU + average CPU over average GPU + good CPU, it really depends on your full budget.
a c 162 à CPUs
April 18, 2011 10:59:53 PM

Its important to note what generation of CPU they are referring to not just the clock speed, something thats hard for them to convey through simple specs. For example, on a single threaded load, an i7 920 @ 2.66GHz will out perform a 3.0GHz E8xxx C2D, and will beat a 3.2 GHz Phenom II X4 so clock speed is not the best thing to be looking at these days.

Some games can make use of more than 2 threads, others are still only single threaded and just need the fastest CPU they can get, the ones that can make use of multiple threads can show improvements on a slow quad core over a faster dual core. If you see that its minimums are like a 3.2GHz Pentium 4 but its recommended is a Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad then it can make use of more than one thread so an additional core or two would help.

An Athlon II x4 640 gives a nice balance of clock speed, cores, and price so its my pick for a budget build.
Related resources
April 18, 2011 11:21:31 PM

Quad core vs Duel Core.. the DUEL core will win simply because its been raised as a fighter :pt1cable: 

on a more serious note, I also vote for the x3. I have one, and I was lucky enough to unlock the fourth core PLUS keep a decent oc (3.45ghz). :love: 
!