Terribly need help to cable motherboard AsusP8P67

kiedis

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Hello.

I bought separate PC parts hoping to build my own "customized" system but it turned out to be a complete blunder lol.

The problem is that there seems to be too many cables coming out of PSU (FSP CM series, if that matters) and I swear I cannot find enough female connectors on the motherboard to plug all those cables.

1. by default, there are 3 cables coming out of PSU and the first one i'm having problem with is the ''two-headed'' 6+2 pin VGA1 connector. I searched and searched and searched for a connector on the motherboard, but couldn't find, so I left it unconnected (of course I studied MB manual, didn't find a solution)

2. the main ATX 20+4 pin connector. well, this seems to be pretty straightforward (actually, i tried to connect 24, then 20 pins, still got the same problem, described below.

3. the third cable is "three-headed" with connectors named CPU1 -4, CPU2 -8 and P8. I plugged P8 in as it seemed the easiest one to connect. What does MB manual says about this connector (i.e. female connector, as PSUs manual is pretty useless)? One, in my view, of the most important points: ''do no forget to connect the 4-pin/8-pin EATX12 V power plug; otherwise, the system will not boot.'' So, can somebody tell my if there is a difference between ONE P8 connector and TWO CPU1-4 and CPU2-8 connectors?

PSUs power is 750W

What happens when I the PSUs power cable into 220V power outlet and press ''1'' on the back of the PSU? The green standby power LED on the motherboard, which ''lights up to indicate that the system is ON, in sleep mode, or in soft-off mode'' lights up for several milliseconds (simultaneously with audible beep) then goes out for some 2 seconds then lights up again with a beep, and so on.

And this happens regardless if ATX power connector is connected using 20 or 24 pins. Any tips pointing where the problem lies would be extremely well appreciated!

i'm trying to upload pictures to my blog but right now it seems that the site is pretty busy and i cannot connect. will try later

1. 6+2 pin are for video card not for motherboard.
2 . you must to have 20 or 24 pin conector on your motherboard , connect that and is ok.
3 . on some motherboards for CPU is enough 4 pin connector, and on some new motherboards request 8 pin connector.
On a PSU there are much more cables than you need. You don't need to use all the cables.
Here is a guide what i hope it will help you : http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?38579-OCZ-StealthXstream-PSU-Installing-and-Connectors.

kiedis

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
thank you for your answer, sosofm!

I connected 8 pin EATX and the main 24 pin connectors to their appropriate locations, in the same way as shown in your given link, but still the same problem - this strange and slow blinking of LED with beep (not really beep, but some sound anyway). I waited a bit longer and this slow blinking ceased and the LED began to glow steadily and even after i had turned off psu and unplugged the power cable from the outlet, it still glowed!

just wondering if it's the sign of a permanently damaged motherboard (by ESD).