Okay guys, i've built myself a new system, here's the setup-

CIT600W PSU
AMD Black edition 555 phenom
Sapphire 6850
2x2gb Kingston 1600mhz HyperX DDR3
Asrock Am3 M3a770de
Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive
Sony AD-5260S-0B 24x DVD-RW

My PC cuts out about 20 seconds after startup, i've tried testing from barebones to everything added and it all comes down to the 12v connector, the PC can't properly function without either the 4 pin or 8 pin, I have both. When I first ran the PC I used a 4 pin and everything was fine, I installed all my programs and was pretty much ready to game on it, finally I went onto my Bios to see if I was a lucky to have 4 cores in my 555, which I did, but as soon as i activated them, PC wouldn't start up on Windows, just stuck on the Windows 7 sign as it starts up. I went to buy a Mole Female > 8 pin 12v Male wire. And plugging that in caused the cut outs, the cut outs happen the same time everytime I start it up with the 12v plugged in. Windows now logs on fine, since a few times i've been able to logon before it cuts out.

I've tried, pretty much everything, my PC knowledge is most definetly above average, i'm just looking for a group of people to brainstorm with. Everything suggested will be tried, whether i've already done it or not. I'm going to have to go back to square 1 unless anybody knows of any underlying cause for this specific power problem.

Cheers.

My suggestion is that you plug in your 4 pin as original and leave the CPU with the cores locked or try one core at a time. One or both cores are probably damaged therefore the CPU was sold as X2!

vipers992

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
I already switched off the Advanced CPU configuration settings and set everything to auto, I double checked it. For some reason now, when i start it up the first time it will give me some time to check out the Bios etc but now if i try and restart it soon after it will either just go onto a black screen with the underline flashing and do nothing, then swifly after cut out or itll just cut out within a few seconds of power on, switching whats inside the 12v just resets the cycle of how long its on for, same with leaving it for a while.

I reckon the 12v plug itself is over heating since when i check the inside of my computer i feel next to no heat in general and no way is an idle system about to start up going to overheat because of one of the hardware pieces etc GPU CPU HD, also this problem started when I put in the 8 pin 12v for the very first time.

vipers992

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Update - the actual temperate of the PC according to the bios is 32 C
Also, by removing 1 stick of ram, my PC has stopped cutting out, what does this mean?

vipers992

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Update - placed both sticks of ram back in, but in the other dual channel slots, the cut outs have completely stopped, I don't know what was wrong, but atleast nothing's wrong now

vipers992

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Yeah, typical me, thinking about every complex issue possible and it's always the basic crap.

My heatsink for the CPU wasn't latched down properly, properly caused overheats. My CPU is still down to 2 core, but i'm fed up of spending 5 days of trying to fix this PC so i'm just going to enjoy my new system before I look at going onto 4 core.

Cheers for the consultation Rolli