Application won't work in the old drive?!?!!?

werewolf16

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
A lot of applications such as games( especially online games that require checking for new patch before starting ) don't work from my old hard drive. Recently, I built my new system and installed a new windows ( windows 7 ) on a new hard drive. And I used my old hard drive( windows xp installed ) to make another drive on my computer. What I did is that I am accessing my old hard drive through windows 7( new hard drive ) and most of my applications didn't work anymore. This is not a dual boot system, I am only booting into windows 7. So why are my applications not working? Is there any way to move certain applications from my old hard drive to my new hard drive without installing them over again?

KILLBOT-AU

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
I would think its because you need to re install them under win7 to use them. They won't be recognized by the OS that you have booted. Can you try reinstalling one of the smaller programs to test?

Fapaz

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
It also could be that you're missing some .DLL's or you're missing some registry settings because you're simply trying to run it on the old drive via the new one.

What error do you get when you try to run the files?

werewolf16

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009

Like you said, I am missing a .DLL files for certain game and another game said I am missing a pointer. Can I transfer these games to my new hard drive?

werewolf16

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009

the reason I dont want to reformat my old hard drive is because I want to use that drive for storage of my old documnets, pics and etc. So how can I transfer specific appliction and its saved files to the new drive?

Fapaz

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009

Well you don't have to reformat your old drive, Though if you do it may improve performance / free up a lot of space, as you probably still have the system files for windows xp on your old hard drive (and If i remember correctly, that takes up around 8-16gb.) If you do reformat though, be sure to back up everything important and put it on your new drive.

As some of your games need a .dll file to run, you may download the dll from a dll website, however, I strongly recommend you don't do this. This is because the DLL file you need would most likely be different from the one that it is offering you. For example, I have one game which replaced an old DLL with an updated version, if you tried to run the old version with the updated DLL or vice versa, the exe will not launch or the game will crash on the splash screen.

The easiest way to get the dll file you need is to simply reinstall / repair whatever game won't run.

Also, if you reinstall the programs that need some registry keys that you don't have they will again be functional.