Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hasee (Nvidia Build) 9800GT GX8 512MB Overheats

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 23, 2010 7:49:53 AM

Hey peoples,
About a year ago a bought this Graphics card (the one stated above). I have cleaned it and ensured that there is sufficient airflow for it to keep cool.
When I play older or low-spec games the GPU has no problems, but when I put any 3D intensive game on i.e (Dead Rising 2, Two Worlds II, Arcania etc.) it increases dramatically.
It idles at about 54 degrees and reaches 90+! That's only if I exit the application, if I don't it continues to climb. Once the highest it reached before I exited was 98 degrees.
Essentially it would have continued had I not quit the application.
When playing 2D, Isometric, or non-graphic intensive games its fine.
Playing any game with MSAA, HD Bloom, or Anti-Aliasing turned up effects it.

I can't afford cooling systems or a new GPU, so what can I do?

My specifications:
Hasee (Nvidia) 9800GT GX8 512MB
i5 Intel CPU Quad core 2.6Ghz
4GB Kingston Ram DDR3
Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
P7P55D ASUS MB

I'm getting sick of exited games every 5 minutes so it can cool down lol.
Any advice or help is much appreciated :) 

Best solution

a c 189 U Graphics card
November 23, 2010 8:12:12 AM

You can try to re-apply the thermal paste($8-$15), maybe the old one was dried up, so put the new thermal paste on your GPU...
November 23, 2010 8:36:20 AM

wa1 said:
You can try to re-apply the thermal paste($8-$15), maybe the old one was dried up, so put the new thermal paste on your GPU...

Actually that's a really good idea. The GPU never overheated up until a few months ago.

Cheers man!
m
l
Related resources
a c 189 U Graphics card
November 23, 2010 8:43:52 AM

One year is enough to make the thermal compound dried, so clean the old one and apply the new compound, after that play some games, post here your result. Good luck.
m
l
November 24, 2010 12:26:56 AM

wa1 said:
One year is enough to make the thermal compound dried, so clean the old one and apply the new compound, after that play some games, post here your result. Good luck.

Yeah, will do. I'll buy it soon then see what happens.

Thanks for your help.
m
l
November 29, 2010 12:38:12 PM

Took your advice, and it's working beautifully now. Idles at about 42 degrees (20 cooler) and increases to about 60 in game. I played Two World's II for about an hour and it was perfect. No overheating issues whats-so-ever.
Thanks for your help! :) 
m
l
October 15, 2011 8:18:29 PM

Dragons68 said:
Hey peoples,
About a year ago a bought this Graphics card (the one stated above). I have cleaned it and ensured that there is sufficient airflow for it to keep cool.
When I play older or low-spec games the GPU has no problems, but when I put any 3D intensive game on i.e (Dead Rising 2, Two Worlds II, Arcania etc.) it increases dramatically.
It idles at about 54 degrees and reaches 90+! That's only if I exit the application, if I don't it continues to climb. Once the highest it reached before I exited was 98 degrees.
Essentially it would have continued had I not quit the application.
When playing 2D, Isometric, or non-graphic intensive games its fine.
Playing any game with MSAA, HD Bloom, or Anti-Aliasing turned up effects it.

I can't afford cooling systems or a new GPU, so what can I do?

My specifications:
Hasee (Nvidia) 9800GT GX8 512MB
i5 Intel CPU Quad core 2.6Ghz
4GB Kingston Ram DDR3
Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
P7P55D ASUS MB

I'm getting sick of exited games every 5 minutes so it can cool down lol.
Any advice or help is much appreciated :) 

m
l
October 27, 2011 1:06:53 AM

Best answer selected by Dragons68.
m
l
!