Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Computer
  • Compatibility
  • Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 22, 2011 3:51:32 AM

I'm interested in knowing whether these parts would work together. I've never built a computer myself, and I basically just went through category by category and added whatever had the best customer ratings. I'm very new at this so please excuse my ignorance.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

More about : parts build compatible

Best solution

January 22, 2011 5:03:00 AM

All is compatible. Not a popular PSU brand, but it did receive favorable reviews. You could consider downgrading to a 600W unit, as your system only calls for 550W.
You may also consider adding a $20 dvd drive. The OEM blue-rays are sometimes tough to get working properly without certain drivers. This could cause problems with booting an operating system off of it. I'm not suggesting you omit the BR reader though, they are nice to have.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 22, 2011 1:08:24 PM

jockey said:
All is compatible. Not a popular PSU brand, but it did receive favorable reviews. You could consider downgrading to a 600W unit, as your system only calls for 550W.
You may also consider adding a $20 dvd drive. The OEM blue-rays are sometimes tough to get working properly without certain drivers. This could cause problems with booting an operating system off of it. I'm not suggesting you omit the BR reader though, they are nice to have.

jockey is right. The PSU is waayyy overkill for your system as configured! :bounce: 
m
l
Related resources
January 22, 2011 8:16:28 PM

I'm not going to purchase anything quite yet since I don't have all the money at the moment, but when I'm ready to buy I'll keep all of that in mind. I was unaware about the potential issues with the blu-ray drive, so I'll definitely put a little extra money towards a DVD burner to go along with it.

As far as the power supply, I figured overkill would be good in case I wanted to upgrade in the future. Is 1,000W completely unjustified in a system like this? Would it be basically impossible to upgrade that motherboard to the extent that you'd NEED 1,000W? If so I'll definitely tone that down like you said.

Thanks for the help, your advice is appreciated. :) 
m
l
January 22, 2011 8:55:14 PM

You'd probably never even come close to 850W. I have a 600W that's good enough to crossfire most GPUs and handle overclocking.
m
l
January 22, 2011 11:04:35 PM

Best answer selected by ads76.
m
l
January 22, 2011 11:20:23 PM

That's good to know. I'll look at something more around 600-700 watts and lower the cost of the power supply then.

Once again, thank you for the information. I marked you as having a helpful answer, and I'm officially out of here. :) 
m
l