Which CPU to install

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Hey guys, let me preface by saying thank you for any input.

I'm building a new computer using some components that I have had sitting around, and I'm on a budget so the only thing that I had to (needed to) purchase new was a graphics card. I have a few CPU's sitting around and I'm looking to install one of these 3 on a motherboard that is new-inpackage but is a year or so old. My options for CPU are:

Athlon Phenom X3 8650
Athlon II x2 250 3Ghz
Athlon II x2 7550

Obviously the 7550 is outclassed by either of the first 2, so my question is really which should I install, the x2 250 or the x3 8650? I'm a gamer on a budget and I play world of warcraft primarily and I'm looking for which CPU will have the least negative impact on my new budget computer. I'm installing a Radeon HD 5770 Sapphire Vapor-X 1GB graphics card onto this machine. The motherboard is an old budget board (Gigabyte M68M-S2P) but it's what I have to work with.

I was under the impression that the x2 250 was the better CPU but I was checking the CPU Benchmarks and the x3 8650 is ranked ahead by a few positions. I wanted to know if that would hold true for gaming and if I should put the x3 8650 in the machine instead?

Thanks a lot for any help.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Thanks a lot for reaffirming my suspicions. I realize none of those components sound very thrilling, but for laughs here is what I am currently relegating myself to play on:

Athlon 64 x2 3600+ 1.9Ghz
Radeon HD 4350 512mb
asusTek Amberine M motherboard

I don't know what kind of performance upgrade to expect, but I suspect it will be better than me currently playing with all settings minimized and 20-30fps in a group setting.