Hi

I messed up with the filesystem of ubuntu-7 and now iam getting

DISK BOOT FAILURE and INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

I want to take backup of my data in Hard disk and recover

Help meeeeee

HankB99

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
Boot a live CD, mount your system disk and backup media and hope for the best. If your CD drive is your backup media, then you boot boot from a USB flash drive.

If your drive is in the process of self destructing, best to mount it read-only.

google appropriate terms (like "usb boot ubuntu) for specific instructions.

The next time you install, I highly recommend partitioning your drive between the system and your home directory. That way if the system partition becomes corrupted, you can reinstall w/out touching your existing personal data.

good luck!

-hank

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011

Hi

I have tried using ubuntu live cd iam able to boot ..
but the problem is i have only one partition on hardisk
when i try to mount the harddrive /dev/sda its not mounting
its throwing errors
mount -t ext3 /dev/sda /mnt didnot work .. i tried with many options like ext2,vfat still it didnot work..

showing wrong fs type. or super badblock etc type of errors ..
so iam unable to mount to take backup...

even i tried fsck and e2fsc utilitiles still no use...
but if i use gpart and make it ext3 it will erase data

can u suggest how i can specify fs to drive without erasing data on it and after that i vil mount and take backup

Thnx

HankB99

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010

Probably not a good idea to keep trying different file systems.

Worse yet as fsck will also write to the disk if it thinks it sees a problem it can fix.

There are techniques to try to recover a corrupted partition but they are beyond my knowledge.

You never stated how this happened. Describing that might help. You might get more response posting to an Ubuntu forum.

Sorry I cannot offer more.

-hank

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011

Just type

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

You need to put the 1 there to identify the first partition of your first disk. If you omit the number the system will try to mount from the superblock, and the proper filesystem information won't be there. You don't need to specify the filesystem type for most filesystems. Let it work for you.

You probably need to reinstall the bootloader. Get your disk mounted and Google to find how to do that.

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
Hi
I have tried everything but couldnot mount the harddisk with corrupted filesystem :(

so finally i reinstalled ubuntu

Now i took care that i made multiple partitions and kept my data on other partiton /home

Luckily i have backup on windows....