SAbertooth 990fx with AMD 8120 Pros

gceorge

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
Hi guys. Im building my first build and have come to a problem.
Im using
a CM scout case with
Ripsaw 1600 (2x4gB) RAM ,
AMD FX 8120
128GB Kingston SSD
(soon to add 1TB HDD)

Can somebody tell me how to use a memory stick to update the BIOS before 'booting' . And being new I understand basic terminology but keeping it simple would be great, also if there is any other hints and tips you think I should know I'd be happy to hear them THANKYOU AND MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

n3oea

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011

I'm afraid that the Sabertooth, unlike the Asus gaming motherboards, does not have the ability to flash the BIOS without booting. I ran into this exact issue last night with my new Sabertooth 990FX and FX-8120. Fortunately, my computer at work has an old AMD Phenom II X250, which is supported by the default BIOS in the Sabertooth. So I went into work this morning, swapped CPUs, got the thing to boot, flashed, and now all is happy.

I've read some posts that Asus will let you return the board to them to get it flashed for free (you pay for shipping to them). That's actually pretty decent, but you'd most likely be waiting for a week or so to get the board back. Look on the Asus web site for the list of supported CPUs for BIOS 0402. Hopefully you can find a friend with one of those chips to let you borrow it for 15 minutes.

gceorge

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011

SO HELPFUL THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! :D do you know also if instead of using a usb it would be possible to use a CD? thanks again!