USB 3 And Fractal Design Case

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
I am admittedly a rookie when it comes to computer engineering and science. Once every couple of years I build a new computer and try to get the best I can at the time.

In this build, I am focusing on a quiet rig without sacrificing cooling. I looked over the best selling and some other recommended cases in favor of this full size Fractal Design XL:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352005

Only had 8 reviews on Newegg but I did read a couple of reviews elsewhere and even though it doesn't appear popular, I'm going for it.

So anyway, the point of my post! :) It mentioned in the description that is uses USB 2.0. Presumably on the front or top panels. Okay, so I plan on using SSD drives. I think I was reading an article about they mentioned that you gain the full benefit of these drives by using USB 3.0. Are they talking about the motherboard? Do I need to concern myself with the USB design of the case? I occasionally use an external hard drive and flash drive so I was just wondering if USB 2.0 vs 3.0 would be a deal breaker if you liked a particular case.

One other thought. Is there a way to change panels or whatever from 2.0 to 3.0? I ask because I've heard of a case called an Corsair Obsidian 800D that has a $10 conversion kit to do that. I actually like the Corsair case but no one mentions whether it is quiet or not as opposed to this case where every review mentioned how quiet it is and one guy who had to actually put his ear to the case to see it it was even on! Can't wait!

I was curious and looked at the case. From the reviews I hear (no pun intended) that the case is silent.

The USB3 that you read about is on the motherboard. The cases that have a front USB 3 port have a cable that must be plugged at the rear USB 3 port of the motherboard.

Go for this case. If you want USB 3, look for motherboards that have USB 3.

(Just wondering; the guy who placed his ear to the case to check whether the fans were running - did he have a hearing problem?).