Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GTS 250 DDR3

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 23, 2010 12:43:36 PM

GTS250 1gb DDR3 or 512mb DDR3? does it have a big difference?

is this card good for gaming?

More about : gts 250 ddr3

a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2010 12:52:34 PM

Its not the best out there bit is decent at a push, and the GRAM on the card wont make a huge difference in this case.

If you havent bought it yet, give us a budget and we can maybe find you a better card.

Also, what Res do you game at? Should of been the first question i asked..
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2010 12:53:16 PM

Yes it is. The extra memory comes into the picture when you are gaming at high resolutions, other than that there is not much benifit. But i do remember GTS250 having very little price difference between the two models. If that is the case then you can get it.

But as for the card overall, an HD5750 is a better option. Much more power efficient. Performs just about the same and much more power conserving, also is DX11 capable.
m
0
l
Related resources
November 23, 2010 1:03:45 PM

eldridgeluke said:
GTS250 1gb DDR3 or 512mb DDR3? does it have a big difference?

is this card good for gaming?


The card is a revamped 9800GTX+, so if you're upgrading from that card, consider a different model. It can still handle every game out there, though.

The difference in RAM wouldn't bother you unless you play at high resolutions, 1920x1080 onwards. If you play on lower res, 512mb SHOULD be enough for you. The difference isn't that big on lower resolutions.

I'd advise you to get something slightly newer. Perhaps a 450 from nVidia or a HD5770 from ATi, if you want something newer and mid-end.
m
0
l
November 23, 2010 1:08:51 PM

ok,, i prefer nvidia,

i usually play at 1024x768, 1280x1024, ..
uhmm $100 to $120 USD
m
0
l
November 23, 2010 1:09:41 PM

uhmm no shipping, no cards, just maybe the shop prices.. thanks

i live in the philippines so that's why
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2010 1:12:50 PM

The GTS250 is perfect @ 1280x1024. Not alot would stop it maxed out at the Res.
m
0
l
November 23, 2010 1:14:26 PM

^^
you're talking about a GTS450 right?
m
0
l
November 23, 2010 1:18:43 PM

how bout at 1920x1080?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2010 1:20:40 PM

eldridgeluke said:
^^
you're talking about a GTS450 right?


Both, 1280x1024 isn't that much of a GPU demanding Res. To be honest, i dont think you'd see much, if any gains in FPS @ 1280x1024 performance from a GTS250 to something like a GTX460 or something more high end..


But at 1920x1080 thats a different story. This is pretty much the top end of res's and will need a decent GPU to power most games at full details.
m
0
l
November 23, 2010 1:30:02 PM

what card can you suggest thats inside a $100-$120 budget that can handle games at full details using this res?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2010 1:31:09 PM

eldridgeluke said:
what card can you suggest thats inside a $100-$120 budget that can handle games at full details using this res?


Which res 1280x1024 or 1920x1080?
m
0
l
November 23, 2010 1:32:51 PM

eldridgeluke said:
uhmm no shipping, no cards, just maybe the shop prices.. thanks

i live in the philippines so that's why


I live in the Philippines too. :) 

A GTS450 will probably handle 1920x1080 on medium for most games, probably much better to just get a GTX460, or a nice HD4850. Cooler, less wattage on the HD4850. I have one myself! Should be considerably cheaper now.

For your reference: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gts-radeon,...

I'd get a HD5770, bro, or wait till the prices drop a little bit more once nVidia releases their mid-range cards. :) 

EDIT: I own a Palit HD4850 Sonic 1GB, OC'd (but I forgot my clocks - am studying abroad). I run games on max at 1920x1080 and it's all really smooth. Just make sure you don't get bottlenecked by an old processor like I am! My dad opted to get a high-end (at that time) GPU and skimp on the CPU. SO I have an HD4850 paired with an ancient Brisbane @ 2.6GHz. Bummer!
m
0
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
November 23, 2010 1:36:25 PM

@eldridgeluke, how many threads are you going to start about the same subject?
m
0
l
November 23, 2010 1:38:47 PM

johnxfire said:
I live in the Philippines too. :) 

A GTS450 will probably handle 1920x1080 on medium for most games, probably much better to just get a GTX460, or a nice HD4850. Cooler, less wattage on the HD4850. I have one myself! Should be considerably cheaper now.

For your reference: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gts-radeon,...

I'd get a HD5770, bro, or wait till the prices drop a little bit more once nVidia releases their mid-range cards. :) 

EDIT: I own a Palit HD4850 Sonic 1GB, OC'd (but I forgot my clocks - am studying abroad). I run games on max at 1920x1080 and it's all really smooth. Just make sure you don't get bottlenecked by an old processor like I am! My dad opted to get a high-end (at that time) GPU and skimp on the CPU. SO I have an HD4850 paired with an ancient Brisbane @ 2.6GHz. Bummer!



how much does an HD5770 costs? been hearing that card pretty often. but isn't that AMD? u know when will nvidia release their cards

m
0
l
November 23, 2010 1:41:23 PM

Mousemonkey said:
@eldridgeluke, how many threads are you going to start about the same subject?


sorry, how do i close the previous threads?

and somehow, in every thread i make, its a different question but just the same card

m
0
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
November 23, 2010 1:44:30 PM

I'll close the others then so just stick to this thread with your different questions about the same card.
m
0
l
November 23, 2010 1:46:40 PM

eldridgeluke said:
how much does an HD5770 costs? been hearing that card pretty often. but isn't that AMD? u know when will nvidia release their cards


nVidia's new mid-range will be released next year, with the GTX560. The GTX570 will be out this December, and the lower-mid range will be out by next year as well. Source: http://fudzilla.com/graphics/item/20948-geforce-gt-550-...

HD5770s are currently about ~150USD. If you really must have nVidia, grab a GTX460 if you don't mind the cost. Otherwise, the cheapest options would be two gens back, the GTS250, HD4850 or the cheaper HD4770.

Don't worry, ATi is doing superbly well now. Or, should I say, AMD. :) 
m
0
l
November 23, 2010 1:51:41 PM

oh.. thats gonna hurt my budget,, but.. hmm.. a HD5770 will tear a gts20 right?

is a HD5770 > GTX460?

when the release in december comes? what cards will mostly get the price cuts?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2010 1:55:32 PM

What the guys above say is all correct. The GTS 450 performs quite similarly generally and a lot better in many instances, it has DX11 and consumes less power than the 250. Overall they're both good cards for gaming at your resolution, so either will be a good choice. The GTS 450, however, is more future proof.
m
0
l
November 23, 2010 2:02:02 PM

eldridgeluke said:
oh.. thats gonna hurt my budget,, but.. hmm.. a HD5770 will tear a gts20 right?

is a HD5770 > GTX460?

when the release in december comes? what cards will mostly get the price cuts?


Yes, the HD5770 performs much better than the GTS250.

No, the GTX460 goes against the HD5830. Matches up pretty well.

The HD5770 goes against the GTS450 actually, and the HD5770 is faster.

The release for the GTX570 will probably be mid December, and the GTX560 will probably be out by January or Feb.

Price cuts would run across every single area once Cayman is out and if and only if nVidia cuts their prices, forcing AMD to respond with their own cuts.
m
0
l
November 23, 2010 2:08:08 PM

^^
my res is 1920x1080

and btw when was 450 released?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2010 2:09:43 PM

3 months ago.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2010 2:32:38 PM

eldridgeluke said:
^^
my res is 1920x1080

and btw when was 450 released?


It's a great card, and as I've said before can compete quite directly with the 5770. The thing about the GTS 450 is that it was pretty much shipped underclocked. Clock it right up and you'll see a great performance gain, competing against a 5770 easily. Some games prefer Nvidia, so the GTS 450 will WHIP the 5770. Something to consider!
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2010 3:03:22 PM

johnxfire said:
HD5770>=HD4850>GTS250

The GTS250 is slightly better than the HD4850.

So it should be:
HD5770>GTS250>HD4850. The HD5770 is more or less close to the HD4870. The HD5750 is more or less in the same league as the GTS250/HD4850. The GTS450 at HD resolutions even falls short of the HD5750 in most cases.

So in modern comparison, HD5770>HD5750>=GTS450.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2010 3:41:21 PM

Um, yes and no. It is true that the gts 450 at stock is similar in performance to a 5750, but it is universally acknowledged that the stock frequencies are an underclock. The fact that all 450 owners get huge performance gains from a bog standard overclock on air cooling and no voltage tweaking shows the card's true potential. It then starts to compete with the 5770, and in games that favour Nvidia it thrashes the 5770. I would actually rank the 5770 first, with the 450 second or equal, then the 5750.
m
0
l
November 24, 2010 12:54:31 PM

will the new releases cause the GTS450 get a price cut?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 24, 2010 12:57:49 PM

I am not sure! GTS450 is catered for a different segment of the market and the upcoming GTX570 caters to a completely different set of people, so can't quite say GTS450 may have a price cut!
m
0
l
!