HELP =[ dropped my computer! Damage?

jrunes

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
Hello there, so i just built a new computer using a cooler master 430 case.

What happened was that there are these little stoppers underneath right?

My desktop table is a small one, so as i was trying to push the desktop further from the wall to give it more "fan space" i accidentally pushed the two little front stoppers off the table causing the bottom of the case to hit the table. Sounded painful =\ as its a brand new computer with really good specs.

Will doing this by accident cause any damage to the system?

Solution
I'm sure it was jarring to you and probably made a lot of noise because of the large flat surfaces on the case. I doubt that damage was done if it was not running. If it was running, there is a risk that the the read/write head could touch a spinning platter. However that's a small drop - about an inch?

This does make me think of one issue however. Today's heat sinks seem monstrous compared to what was common a few years ago. That seems like a lot of weight to hang cantilevered off the motherboard. I wonder if that leaves the mobo susceptible to damage. I still don't think that will be an issue for you, but I wonder if it could cause damage over the long run from the constant stress and fan vibration.

HankB99

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
I'm sure it was jarring to you and probably made a lot of noise because of the large flat surfaces on the case. I doubt that damage was done if it was not running. If it was running, there is a risk that the the read/write head could touch a spinning platter. However that's a small drop - about an inch?

This does make me think of one issue however. Today's heat sinks seem monstrous compared to what was common a few years ago. That seems like a lot of weight to hang cantilevered off the motherboard. I wonder if that leaves the mobo susceptible to damage. I still don't think that will be an issue for you, but I wonder if it could cause damage over the long run from the constant stress and fan vibration.

Solution
Hank, that's why you use backing plates on the coolers. But that is a good thing to check.

jrunes, like 55 said, it probably sounded worse than it was. Try to do a complete r/w surface scan of the hard drive. Keep in mind that if you find something wrong that it is not necessarily because of the bump.

jrunes

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
So besides the hard drive the other components will not really be damaged at all?

I'm not sure a scan of the hard drive will do anything LOL , since when i dropped it i havent even turned on the computer for the first time