mickw

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
Hi all, I’ll be building a new system in the next month so would appreciate plenty of advice and recommendations. My budget will be less than £500, I’m not a heavy game user, mainly office apps, internet, editing home photos, music and video etc.

My current P4 – 3.0ghz is 5yrs old and getting too slow for the several windows I may have open, ideally I would like to run dual monitors (not included in price), advice needed on how to set this up, can you use the onboard graphics of an i3 without the need for an additional card or do you also need a card and will that disable the onboard graphics?

My idea so far is something like this:-
Intel i3 540
Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H or MSI H55M-ED55
Corsair Memory XMS3 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 9 XMP Dual Channel
Samsung 1Tb Spinpoint F3 Hard Drive
Samsung DVD Writer, SH-S223C/BEBE, SATA, Black, OEM

Not sure as to what PSU to use or any other case fans and CPU coolers (if stock ones not sufficient)

I’d also be interested in some mild overclocking.

All advice welcome on the above or other alternatives.

Thanks in advance

Only the "K" suffix/series of cpus can be overclocked, and this is best done with P67 chipset series of motherboards.....; any modern PCI-e graphics card will support two monitors, avvailable for $50 or so....

jockey

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

If this were true, than overclocking would be a brand new thing with the Sandy Bridge CPU's!