fatbaby55

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
After some recommendations from you all here is what I have come up with from Dell.
Print Summary Add to Wishlist

Compatibility InstructionsCongratulations! You have finished personalizing!
PROCESSORS Intel® Core™ i5-2500 processor(6MB Cache, 3.3GHz) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English edit
OFFICE SOFTWARE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 edit
SERVICE PLAN 2Year Basic Service Plan edit
MONITOR Dell ST2420L 24"W Full HD Monitor, 24.0 VIS, VGA Cable supplied only edit
VIDEO CARD ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5 edit
MEMORY 8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs edit
HARD DRIVE 1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache edit
SECURITY SOFTWARE McAfee SecurityCenter , 24-Months edit
Software & Services
OPTICAL DRIVE 16X CD/DVD Burner + Roxio Creator 10 Premier - Ultimate Burn/Authoring edit
SPEAKERS No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system) edit
KEYBOARD Dell Consumer Multimedia Keyboard edit
WIRELESS Dell 1501 Wireless-N PCIe Card edit
SOUND CARD Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio edit
MOUSE Dell Laser Mouse edit
Personalize
DATASAFE ONLINE BACKUP DataSafe 2.0 Online Backup 2GB for 1 year edit
My Accessories
ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
XPS 8300 XPS 8300
TBU Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0 Multi-Language
MODEM No Dial Up Modem Option
USB 3.0 Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet

Any comments on this system are GREATLY appreciated. My current computer I built and am a bit wary about buying prebuilt but I have not kept up with technology enough to feel I could build another.
My only concern now is the processor. I just don't know the difference between the i5 2500 6mb cache and the i72600 8mb cache.
Thank you in advance for you help.
Wanda

Solution
You don't need to get it from Dell though especially since the upgrade costs $130. You can spend the $130 and get the exact 5770 you want.

I'd disagree with this comment. If you're going to get a graphics card, get it at the time of purchase from Dell. If you order your system from Dell with an HD5450 installed, Dell will provide you with a power supply sufficient to power that card and not much more. If you order a system from Dell with an HD5770 installed, Dell will provide you with a power supply sufficient to power that card.

Dell isn't going to give you a (more expensive to them) 500 watt power supply if the system you configured only requires 350 watts and upgrading later to a better graphics card usually means...

UniqueName

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
Both are Quad core but 2500 does not have hyperthreading. For games and normal workloads they are almost the same. For certain highly parallel workloads, such as content creation and 7-zip, hyperthreading can help a lot. It really comes down to what do you want to spend 80 dollars on. Downpayment on an SSD(app load times), better GPU(games), better CPU(overall), blu-ray?? or a frappuccino a day for the next 20 days(lifestyle).

For the system, the main thing is you might want to skip the graphics upgrade from 5450 to 5770. Instead pick your own 5770. Prices on newegg range from $100 for reference coolers to $150 for custom coolers. It won't really save you money but you'll get to pick the best 5770 for you including which outputs and how many. VGA, HDMI, DisplayPort, etc. You'll also get a 5450 if you have somewhere to use it. Blu-ray if you use them might be a nice addition. Also any particular reason for the Soundblaster upgrade? Normal audio should be fine.

UniqueName

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
5450 is for casual games and can only do low setting 800x600 3d games if at all. 5770 has great performance for your monitor and can play all games. If you're going to play modern games a 5770 is a great choice. You don't need to get it from Dell though especially since the upgrade costs $130. You can spend the $130 and get the exact 5770 you want. Since you've built your own systems before you won't have a problem installing a video card.

Wolfshadw

Titan
You don't need to get it from Dell though especially since the upgrade costs $130. You can spend the $130 and get the exact 5770 you want.

I'd disagree with this comment. If you're going to get a graphics card, get it at the time of purchase from Dell. If you order your system from Dell with an HD5450 installed, Dell will provide you with a power supply sufficient to power that card and not much more. If you order a system from Dell with an HD5770 installed, Dell will provide you with a power supply sufficient to power that card.

Dell isn't going to give you a (more expensive to them) 500 watt power supply if the system you configured only requires 350 watts and upgrading later to a better graphics card usually means having to purchase a new power supply as well.

-Wolf sends

Solution

therightstuff

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011

The Dell you have posted is not going to be upgradable in the future.The only thing I would be advised about is Dell underclocks alot of there video cards (i have never got one that was not underclocked.).

My friend just got a FOX technology PC.Its pretty dang good.All the parts are just as you would buy and build yourself.His cost $1100.He emailed them and they worked with what he wanted.

fatbaby55

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
I am seriously debating whether to buy the Dell, convenience of a prebuilt is the only reason I will buy it. I priced my "wants and it comes to $1100 dollars anyway so I am on a see-saw, buy or build. GRrrrrrr. I just cannot make up my mind. It has been a 5 years since I built one and don't know if I have the know how left with the new technology.
Wanda

therightstuff

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011

I have owned Dells for years.I have a alien ware now.The biggest thing I'm getting tired of is the build quality and the lack of upgradability.The first Dell I bought was a well made pc.Not upgradable.The xps 710 I had was the start of bad things.The MB went out and thankfully it was under warrant.Dell replaced it with a Aurora.The MB and psu are crap.The video card came very underclocked,and tech support is a joke.

I'm going to build my first PC (waiting for check).I have been reading reviews and build forums about what to buy.The folks here are very helpful.

If you want to know about Dell computers,don't take my word.Read there forums.