GeForce gtx 460 issues

Hello!

STORY:
I just got an EVGA GeForce gtx 460 and it worked great the first time I installed it.

I later cut the computer back on and noticed it took a little longer to get to my desktop after loging in. The computer then froze on the desktop, no blue screen or error messages, just a freeze. I hard-powered off and cut the computer back on and didn't have any problems.

I checked for updated drivers, ( none found ) but I also ran disk clean up since I had never really deleted my old gpu drivers. There was a ton of uneeded junk on the computer that I got rid off. I've cut the computer on and off a few times sence and hasn't had a problem yet.

Should I be worried? Was it just an random event due to not properly deleting the old drivers? ( was using motherboard's video before video card)

System:
Athlon iiX2 2.9ghz
Gigabyte GA-M68M-S2P
3gb of ddr2
WD 500gb blue

Solution
Sounds like old driver issues. Expesically if it cleared up post clean-up. I would leave it alone if its working fine now.

If your really worried though you could wipe and reinstall the new drivers again see if it acts up.

jota1500

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
Sounds like old driver issues. Expesically if it cleared up post clean-up. I would leave it alone if its working fine now.

If your really worried though you could wipe and reinstall the new drivers again see if it acts up.

Solution

Actually wouldn't know till you start looking for hot spots with either a thermal imaging camera or a infra red thermometer. The power vrm on these cards is the hottest area of the card due to poor air flow and no vrm heatsink.

Oh, so I should be worried?
I haven't had any shut downs or what not, and the room doesn't seem warmer. X_^

Its the power vrm stupid. :| Go look up all the people who are having problems with this card. If people would actually look for potential issues with their hardware and actually maintain it half of the failures wouldn't take place. The core is easy to cool and you are fine there but the rest of the card is of concern.

It WAS driver realated for sure. I've had do problems since bud. :sol:

denny927

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009

:eek: hi mate i have your identical configuration athlon II x2 64 @2.9ghz, same mobo, but i dont know what rev, and what do you think?im near to buy a gtx460 and after read your problem, im very worried now....what can i do for avoid your problem?is only a driver question?thanks mate keep in contact and sorry for my poor english :kaola:

I was driver realated. The card is working great now but the card will block one of your sata ports if you have the same board as mine!

denny927

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009

ooops....anyway...thanks for the quick reply :hello: