evilavatar

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Ok so I am biting the bullet and buying new parts for some gaming upgrades to my computer. I want to stay under 250 and I really want to put a radeon hd 6850 in my computer. It's an athlong 2 x 4 630 2.8 ghz, with 6 gigs of ram (4 dimms), a regular sata drive, dvd burner, card reader front slot setup, and that's really it at the moment (basically it's a stock Inspiron 570 mt). My main question is will a Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Power Supply be enough power for everything (this would keep me in line with my budget)? any response would be great.

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
the EA650w will be enough for even 2 6850s, which is a plus for future-proofing.

Overkill? some would say yes but the difference between the 500w (which would be enough) and 650w model is only $15, so it's worth it.

SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102908&cm_re=6850-_-14-102-908-_-Product

Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371015&cm_re=antec_650w-_-17-371-015-_-Product

For $225 after rebate.

evilavatar

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
i was geting aobut teh same price on amazon.com but i can spend a little extra to get expadited shipping with the difference :) I originally was going to get a 900 watt and use the aprts in a new rig later as my current box does not have space to sli or use more than one video card, but a 6850 should be more than sufficient for my gaming needs. thanks :)

evilavatar

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
not to be mean silvune, but I know antec, and I do not know anything about Xigmatek or that review,I mostly needed to know if 650 watts would be enough. I was pretty srue ti would be, especially since I don't really overclock, but I wanted to be sure before I ordered. I am getting both items as a gift, thus the price limit. Were this a review from a group I knew I might consider it, but you have to be able to know for sure if a reviewer is independent or not. That being said the reviewer is from the UK and the powersupply would take longer to get to me as xigmatek is is not a main stream american supplier and I am in the US.

the earth watt 650
Review here - http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=110 (Note: I happen to know this reviewer is good, independent and extrordinarily thorough and independent. I highly suggest checking any reviews you see against his to see what kind of results they get.)

If you want to save money and get a better power supply at the same time then there is no better option than that Xigmatek, it is better than the Antec Earthwatts EA-650. If you want to stick with the worse power supply because of a lack of knowledge then go ahead. However seeing as it's out of stock, here's another good one which you won't be able to argue with:
SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094

Please don't doubt my knowledge of power supply testing review sites, I read tons of power supply reviews, and not just at jonnyguru. You can't rely on one reviewer to test every unit out there, and there are more good units out there than just the ones that have been tested at jonnyguru.
May I ask how you happen to know that OklahomaWolf is 'independent', did you find it out a different way than I did? Which was just reading his reviews.

Surely one of the things you should be interested in when reading that hardwareheaven review was that the capacitors are Nippon Chemi-Con and Teapo and rated at 105C.

And I don't see why you're saying that it would take longer to get to you, I posted a newegg link, it will take just as long as the Antec to get to you.