How many faulty power supplies

Lambda09a

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
Hi

I thought I'd run this past a few more techies and hear what some others have to say about my issues. I will try to give as much information as possible.

I am what I'd call an advanced user so I have a more than sufficient knowledge of computer workings etc and have a few qualifications as a computer technician but only real experience with family, friends and my own PC's.

PROBLEM:

A little over 1 month ago my SilverStone 650W SST-ST65ZF Power supply suddenly stopped working. Tested it in another PC, didn't work, then finally shorting green/black wires. Final Result = Fan spins on PSU for 1 sec then stops.

So then I decided to purchase a new one. A Silversone ST-75F-P 750W Power supply. This one worked fine...once. I had the PC on for a good 4 hours, finished using computer so I shut it down, then the next day, went to turn it on and nothing. Tested in another computer, no go. However I could get it to turn on when it wasn't connected to anything by shorting out green/black. But no matter what I did, it wouldn't go in 2 of my PC's, and when I plugged in a spare 600W that a friend loaned me, the 600W went fine.

So I ran on the 600W PSU from my friend for around 2.5 - 3 weeks with no problems.

My replacement eventually arrived and I plugged it all in and nothing happened. Power Supply fan turned for half a second. The only way I could get it to attempt turning on again, would be to unplug the PSU from the power, wait 10-20 seconds, then plug it back in just to have the fan spin for half a second. This was not just the fan not working, the entire PC was not turning on during this. I tried this in another known working computer, and it did not work. This time I decided to try it in my flat mates computer, and to my suprise, it actually worked. I was stumped. But I tried it over and over again, clearing CMOS settings, switching it off for a while, turning it back on, pressing the power button on the mobo (this board comes with buttons on the board itself to save having to short pins out when testing on a test bench), swapping graphics cards, taking everything out of the expansion slots, everything my friend and I could think of, and it would not work in my computer.

Plugged in my m8's 600W again, and it worked first time, and kept working, no problems.

I paid an extra 20 or so dollars and upgraded to a Corsair HX750W Modular Professional Series. I thought that sounded great! lol. It arrives all nicely sealed up in a great looking box with a 7 Years warranty slapped on the front of the box (Important feature for me). I plugged it in and what do you know, it works. I was extremely happy with this PSU, the quality seemed superior to the Silversone so I thought I had finally had the last of my PSU problems.

WRONG!!!!

It did however work from the 3rd April until 19th April (Today) so I got just over 2 weeks out of it before it pooped itself. I was happily playing Minecraft, as I usually do in the evenings and suddenly my PC powers off, monitor goes off, speakers go off, UPS beeping to say there's been a power failure. Now I first thought great! there's been a powercut, but then I turned the lights to my room on...No Power cut. (Also I better mention my monitor and speakers are powered through a surge guard which is plugged directly into the wall socket. My PC was running off the UPS plugged directly into the wall socket. ) Turns out, that the fuse had popped to the house for the socket that my PC was plugged into. So, I reset the breaker, and the surge guard comes to life, UPS comes back onto mains, press power button on PC....Nothing. Not even a hint of life. So, I start the usual procedure. Unplug power from PSU, wait..., Plug it back in, try again...Nothing. Then I go directly into the surge guard, bypassing the UPS, nothing. Then I haul my box out to another room and plug it in out there, nothing. Then I got the multimeter out, dead, dead and more dead. Green / black wire short = Nothing. Green / Black wire voltage check = 0.000. I have since tried it in 2 other computers and it is completely dead.

Conclusion:

Is my luck THAT bad that I have 3 faulty power supplies. I cant see how something in my computer is causing them to blow, and I can't see why the UPS could be causing it because when I plug my m8's handy 600W in, it works fine, every time.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I can try or get checked as a cause of this or could it just be that I have lucked out on all of my power supply purchases. Very very strange problem indeed.

My Machine Specs are:

AMD X4 Phenom 9950 Black Edition (AM2+)
5GB DDR2-800 RAM
ASUS-M4A79 Deluxe Motherboard (AMD790FX/SB750 Chipset)
2x 500GB SATA HDD's running in Firmware RAID0 as 1TB
1x 1.0 TB SATA as Data Drive
Geforce 9800GTX+ 512 MB
Connected Devices:
Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick
Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals
Asus 802.11g Wireless USB NIC
APC Back-UPS 650 UPS

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Lambda09a

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
I have just connected up my replacement PSU, another Corsair HX-750W. I'm plugged in to the surge guard directly now, no UPS, I've removed TV-Tuner card (which I failed to mention earlier) and the extra joystick I had. Fingers Crossed