Mouse wheel doesnt work when mouse connected through ps2

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
March 7, 2005 7:20:48 AM

I'm using a port replicator with my Vaio FX804 laptop. I wanted to
free up a usb port so I used a usb-ps2 adaptor to plug my Logitech
Wheel Mouse into the ps2 socket on the port replicator.

However when I do this the mouse wheel gets disabled.

Does anyone know why?

The mouse scroll feature of the touchpad works fine at all times.

I'm running Windows XP SP1.

I do not have the Logitech Mouseware software installed and was really
hoping to avoid doing this. The default Windows drivers have always
worked fine with my laptop/PCs in the past and I dont need the extra
features of Mouseware nor want the risk of it interfering with the
system, such as with the Vaio's touchpad.

Looking at Device Manager, the logitech mouse is shown under "Mice and
other-pointing devices" section as "Alps Pointing device". I tried
playing with the Advanced Settings to no avail. Tried unticking "Fast
Initialization" and the mouse went loopy and had a mind of its own.
Also tried changing the "Wheel Detection" from "Assume wheel is
present" to "Look for wheel". Still no luck. The General page confirms
that the mouse is "plugged into ps/2 mouse port" and says "This device
is working properly". Also, there's no resource conflicts.

Thanks for any tips.

Thanks, Ant
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 7, 2005 1:08:19 PM

Ant wrote:
> I'm using a port replicator with my Vaio FX804 laptop. I wanted to
> free up a usb port so I used a usb-ps2 adaptor to plug my Logitech
> Wheel Mouse into the ps2 socket on the port replicator.
>
> However when I do this the mouse wheel gets disabled.
>
> Does anyone know why?
>
> The mouse scroll feature of the touchpad works fine at all times.
>
> I'm running Windows XP SP1.
>
> I do not have the Logitech Mouseware software installed and was really
> hoping to avoid doing this. The default Windows drivers have always
> worked fine with my laptop/PCs in the past and I dont need the extra
> features of Mouseware nor want the risk of it interfering with the
> system, such as with the Vaio's touchpad.
>
> Looking at Device Manager, the logitech mouse is shown under "Mice and
> other-pointing devices" section as "Alps Pointing device". I tried
> playing with the Advanced Settings to no avail. Tried unticking "Fast
> Initialization" and the mouse went loopy and had a mind of its own.
> Also tried changing the "Wheel Detection" from "Assume wheel is
> present" to "Look for wheel". Still no luck. The General page confirms
> that the mouse is "plugged into ps/2 mouse port" and says "This device
> is working properly". Also, there's no resource conflicts.
>
> Thanks for any tips.
>
> Thanks, Ant

This applies to Intellipoint, but you might find the fix works for your
mouse: http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;327808

a b D Laptop
March 7, 2005 6:27:19 PM

Hi Ant,
You may have to install the software that came with the mouse for
it to work properly with the touchpad enabled while using the mouse on
the port replicator. If you have one, you should try the mouse on the
standard PS2 port on the laptop and isolate the port replicator as the
problem area.
After that, you should also check whether you need to disable the
touchpad for the mouse to work properly in either instance. This is
common on many laptops with or without the mouse software installed.
Sometimes the touchpad interferes with the mouse instead of the other
way around. The laptop should have come with software pre-installed to
control the functions of the laptop where you can disable the touchpad.

You shouldn't need to use both the touchpad and the mouse at the
same time but if you don't want the hassle of disabling the touchpad
for the mouse to work properly (if this does work) every time you want
to use the mouse on the port replicator, you should install the mouse
software and make sure that you update it with the latest version. Also
refer to the manufacturer's website for known issues and any fixes
available before installing it. It is unlikely that the software will
cause your system any problems if installed correctly. If it does
interfere with your system or touchpad, you always have the choice of
removing it or reverting your system to a safe point before the
installation.

Hope this helps.
Silicon Alley Computers
www.siliconalleycomputers.com