Sign in with
Your question

Two computersusing same program?

Last response: in Networking
June 25, 2010 9:03:11 PM

HI, I have built to computers with win 7 64 bit. I want to install a financial program ( not QB) on both computers. There will be two different people making changes on the program. How can the program stay the same if it is installed on two different computers and with two different people working he program? Thanks

More about : computersusing program

June 27, 2010 4:30:39 AM

BruceMyers48 said:
HI, I have built to computers with win 7 64 bit. I want to install a financial program ( not QB) on both computers. There will be two different people making changes on the program. How can the program stay the same if it is installed on two different computers and with two different people working he program? Thanks

[#0005ff]You must only use of set of data files - in other words install the programme on both machines but store the data created on both in just one of them. When one computer is using a file, the other will be locked out although the user of that second machine will be able to view the file on a Read Only basis. It gets complicated if you try to merge two different versions of the same file.[/#000ff]
m
l
June 27, 2010 3:34:36 PM

Depends entirely on the application, whether or not it was built for concurrent users. Can you configure the data source? If so, just point it to the same database.
m
l
July 1, 2010 1:04:04 AM

Thanks, That makes sense. I think I would rather the first computer have the program installed on it, and the second computer networked to the first and access the program that way. Any change would be on the same computer and data base. Thanks for the reply.
m
l
!