Motherboard for Christmas, but it won't work!!! Help Please!!

TheCreator

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
Hey guys,

Well, I have used Tom's Hardware before in the past for problems but never really had a reason, till now, to sign up!

Well, anyways I got a new motherboard, cpu, and 4 GB of ram for Christmas(Today!). And, I have sadly ran into a problem.. I put the motherboard in a old computer case i got from my teacher and installed in and the cpu. Then I went to put try the system out to make sure it worked and everything with a old power supply that came in the case. Its a 20 pin connector one. ('missing' 4 pins from the power supply connector) and to much of my sad shock the power supply fan didn't start up.. So, I cruised on over hear to this website and found a great thread (found on my phone so I can't show you guys the link) and I double checked my mother board and cpu power but still to no avail! So, I tried hooking up the power supply to a older motherboard I had in it started up....

So, I took off the motherboard and removed two spacers that were on there that I wasn't using (under the mobo) and I noticed there were little 'hump' like things in several spots on the case. (They were meant to be there cause the old mobo has rubber things in the shape of them under-neigh it, and the older mobo i tried the power supply on also had them under the board) So, my first thought was that I had probably shorted out the motherboard.. Cause after that I held the motherboard on my leg with the sheet-like thing that it was on in the box and the power supply still didn't start-up..

So, that is my quick explanation.. I really hope that this is something simplele stupid.. Cause I really want to get my new computer up and running.. I also just hope someone will be on today to see this.. Thanks in advance! And I hope every one has a merry Christmas!

TheCreator

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
All right.. First thing I want to say is thanks for replying! And, secondly the article said something about standoffs (i call them spacers haha) and how it would stop the system from booting.. Well, I know when I put it in there the first time I made that mistake.. But, the article didn't say if this would completely mess up the mobo..

So, I'm just basically asking if that has completely messed up my motherboard cause I don't want to get my hopes up (so to say) by getting the motherboard back out, and doing all that if this is a obvious killer of my motherboard.

Thanks in advance!

If your PSU only has a 20 pin connector it may not have the 4 pin/8pin CPU connector ether. If not the mainboard will not power up as the CPU will not get the proper power. You did not say the make/model so I can not say for sure. Check your manual for your mainboard.

TheCreator

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
Hey guys I just want to say thanks for the link and help so far! Well, I followed that link and took my motherboard out of the anti-static bag it came in and left it on the pad like thing it was on and layed it out on the box it came in to do the 'breadboarding' method.

And, I had the cpu with the heatsink and fan connected the 4GB kingston hyper x RAM installed. I connected the (known working power supply) to the motherboard slot and to the cpu power slot (4-pin) and still had no fans or anything going.

Any more help you guys could give would be greatly appreciated!!

Oh, and the power supply is a old dell one with 250 watts max output.