Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Worth it to put aftermarket thermal paste on GPU?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • GPUs
  • Thermal Compound
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
November 23, 2010 8:38:48 PM

Hey, I have an EAH5850, and I was thinking about using some AS5 on my card... good idea?/bad idea? I'm looking to oc it to about 1ghz in about a week.

More about : worth put aftermarket thermal paste gpu

a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2010 9:10:28 PM

I am inclined to say that disassembling a video card just to change thermal compound is not a good idea.

Plus:
I have been using AS5 for years. And while it is pretty good, it is not magical.
m
l
a c 332 U Graphics card
November 23, 2010 9:15:32 PM

jsc said:
I am inclined to say that disassembling a video card just to change thermal compound is not a good idea.

Plus:
I have been using AS5 for years. And while it is pretty good, it is not magical.

What no unicorns and fairies? You must be applying it wrong! :lol: 
m
l
Related resources
a c 1175 U Graphics card
November 23, 2010 9:21:25 PM

It's really easy to change your thermal paste, but it is possible to mess things up, and it may void your warranty. With that said, if you're careful you may see as much as a 3-5c drop in temps and a corresponding drop in fan speeds.
m
l
a c 75 U Graphics card
November 23, 2010 9:56:27 PM

I replaced the thermal paste on my MSI GTX 470. Put some old Antec Silver on it. Initially, I actually saw a 1C temp increase at idle, and about the same with Furmark maxing it out. However, over time my idle temps gradually dropped (as the paste settled/cured perhaps?).

Then again, ambient temps may have dropped some too. Considering it's currently 0 degrees F outside right now.
m
l
a c 332 U Graphics card
November 23, 2010 10:08:29 PM

jerreece said:
I replaced the thermal paste on my MSI GTX 470. Put some old Antec Silver on it. Initially, I actually saw a 1C temp increase at idle, and about the same with Furmark maxing it out. However, over time my idle temps gradually dropped (as the paste settled/cured perhaps?).

Then again, ambient temps may have dropped some too. Considering it's currently 0 degrees F outside right now.

That's over 17c, positivity tropical mate!
m
l
a c 1175 U Graphics card
November 23, 2010 10:10:54 PM

Mousemonkey said:
That's over 17c, positivity tropical mate!

You metric guys and your fancy centigrade measurements. 32F equals 0C, therefore 0F equals cold as hell.
m
l
a c 332 U Graphics card
November 23, 2010 10:12:34 PM

17seconds said:
You metric guys and your fancy centigrade measurements. 32F equals 0C, therefore 0F equals cold as hell.

Yeah, I'm a couple beers short of calculation there! :lol: 
m
l
a c 332 U Graphics card
November 23, 2010 10:13:47 PM

-17c is closer I think.
m
l
a c 1175 U Graphics card
November 23, 2010 10:36:24 PM

Mousemonkey said:
-17c is closer I think.

About the temperature of some bleedin' Whatney's Red Barrel. That one goes out to all my Monty Python fans out there.
m
l
a c 75 U Graphics card
November 23, 2010 10:46:11 PM

And keep in mind 0F was the temp while the sun was out. ;)  It's now -5F with wind chill of -19F. Oh, and snowing too! And the sun is down.
m
l
a c 176 U Graphics card
November 23, 2010 10:49:50 PM

jsc said:

Plus:

Sure if you are trying to take the cooler off with a hammer but there is nothing wrong with arctic silver5 except for the price.
m
l
a c 1175 U Graphics card
November 23, 2010 10:51:28 PM

jerreece said:
And keep in mind 0F was the temp while the sun was out. ;)  It's now -5F with wind chill of -19F. Oh, and snowing too! And the sun is down.

Boy, it gets cold up there in the arctic circle. Time to do some serious overclocking! I wonder if you can set your PC case outside a window near your desk...
m
l
a c 1175 U Graphics card
November 23, 2010 10:55:29 PM

nforce4max said:
Sure if you are trying to take the cooler off with a hammer but there is nothing wrong with arctic silver5 except for the price.

The issue I had was with the screws that hold the heatsink onto the card. The metal in the screw socket seems to like to strip if you are not careful. Using the wrong size scewdriver, or using too much force will cause the screwdriver to just turn without turning the screw, stripping the socket.
m
l
a c 176 U Graphics card
November 23, 2010 11:24:22 PM

17seconds said:
The issue I had was with the screws that hold the heatsink onto the card. The metal in the screw socket seems to like to strip if you are not careful. Using the wrong size scewdriver, or using too much force will cause the screwdriver to just turn without turning the screw, stripping the socket.

I know how to get around stripped screws and have been doing this for years. I got a few tricks up the old sleeve. Usually they aren't a problem and rarely do I strip them on my cards.
m
l
a c 194 U Graphics card
November 24, 2010 12:55:02 AM

id say the first step before applying thermal paste would be good case airflow getting the hot air out, make sure the heatsink/fan is clean from any dust - after i cleaned out my 8800gts temps dropped by around 5 degrees under load. Also use msi afterburner to set a faster fan speed profile, even if your one of those people that are irritated by noise you should be able to increase it a bit without much extra noise. If you are going to go as far as stripping the card down to apply AS5 you can always go the extra step and do this http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/lapping/
m
l
a c 1175 U Graphics card
November 24, 2010 1:19:24 AM

nforce4max said:
I know how to get around stripped screws and have been doing this for years. I got a few tricks up the old sleeve. Usually they aren't a problem and rarely do I strip them on my cards.

Do tell. Do you put tape over them first?
m
l
November 24, 2010 1:12:41 PM

Haha... I got a couple good laughs from your posts guys. So, I'm deducing that it's only worth it if I'm getting temps that are a little on the high end or if fan noise is bugging me. I'll probs go about doing it today then... but I am worried about stripping the screws... what is your tip for fixing them?
m
l
a c 176 U Graphics card
November 24, 2010 2:26:58 PM

Martin 71 said:
Haha... I got a couple good laughs from your posts guys. So, I'm deducing that it's only worth it if I'm getting temps that are a little on the high end or if fan noise is bugging me. I'll probs go about doing it today then... but I am worried about stripping the screws... what is your tip for fixing them?

Just use a proper size screwdriver and don't angle the drive into the head incorrectly. Place the card on a flat surface and start from there. Do not apply to much force or to little. If the driver doesn't fit snug in the screw head then try getting another screw driver that does fit just right. I have never stripped a screw this way on my cards but be sure to not over tighten them or leave them lose when you put it all back together. The manufacturer usually tightens them correctly so stripping the screws is unlikely. I already have cleaned up my GTX460 and it is doing good.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 24, 2010 3:24:30 PM

also this shouldn't have to be mentioned... but don't use a magnetic tip skrewdriver >_<
m
l
a c 194 U Graphics card
November 24, 2010 8:04:24 PM

I always use a magnetic tip screwdriver....what is the problem with that?
m
l
November 24, 2010 8:15:05 PM

as far as i know, it's fine to use magnetics on everything but hard drives
m
l
a c 176 U Graphics card
November 24, 2010 9:11:58 PM

I have used magnetic screw drivers on hard drives for years and haven't had an issue. Just don't open the damn thing up expecting it to work but it is fun the scrap dead drives for those high quality magnets. :sleep: 
I have even modded hard drives to :sol: 
m
l
November 24, 2010 11:14:58 PM

nforce4max said:
I have used magnetic screw drivers on hard drives for years and haven't had an issue. Just don't open the damn thing up expecting it to work but it is fun the scrap dead drives for those high quality magnets. :sleep: 
I have even modded hard drives to :sol: 

yeah :)  I scrapped an old 40gig so my friend and I could play frisbee with the platter and throw the magnets at refrigerators :D 
m
l
November 24, 2010 11:50:58 PM

Martin 71 said:
yeah :)  I scrapped an old 40gig so my friend and I could play frisbee with the platter and throw the magnets at refrigerators :D 

That sounds fun, maybe I should scrap my father's that way(he doesn't want any of that info getting in the wrong hands anyway) :p 

My brother just uses a magnet to magnetize his screwdrivers when he's putting screws in a comp, doesn't ever "screw" anything up.(yes, pun intended)

Quote:
Hey, I have an EAH5850, and I was thinking about using some AS5 on my card... good idea?/bad idea? I'm looking to oc it to about 1ghz in about a week.

You should probably look for some IC Diamond before attempting to replace your video card's thermal paste. I've seen that stuff lower temps 3-4C or more when compared to AS5, so it might be worth it to get some though it is a little more expensive since it is dense compared to as5.
m
l
a c 1175 U Graphics card
November 24, 2010 11:51:03 PM

Martin 71 said:

Dude, I wanna kick it with you sometime.
m
l
November 25, 2010 2:27:22 AM

17seconds said:
Dude, I wanna kick it with you sometime.

thanks bro! last week my friend and I used petroleum jelly and gasoline as thermal paste on a rig with an old pentium... we got to 4.2 before KABOOM! most fun in a while.
m
l
a c 176 U Graphics card
November 25, 2010 2:38:52 AM

Martin 71 said:
thanks bro! last week my friend and I used petroleum jelly and gasoline as thermal paste on a rig with an old pentium... we got to 4.2 before KABOOM! most fun in a while.

Computing GTA style. :sol: 
m
l
November 25, 2010 2:51:05 AM

nforce4max said:
Computing GTA style. :sol: 

I oughta start taping our overclocking sessions
m
l