mfc9x

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
I have a GTX 580 and Corsair 600T with stock fans, and idle at 60 celsius, goes up to 85 on full load with Furmark. My CPU (i7-875k) is 30 idle and 60 load and my Hyper 212+ sucks air from the GPU. Are these temps normal or is something wrong? Also, with my CPU temps would it be possible to OC to 4Ghz safely? Thanks in advance.

I'm not so sure of your idle GPU temp. 60c is pretty high for idle, but 85c is about right for load on Furmark. Sometimes the GPU kicks into a higher energy state at just the littlest thing, maybe something on a webpage, that will cause the temps to rise slightly, but never as high as 60c (on my GTX480). Is 60c the absolute minimum? I would be looking for an idle temp in the 40's.

My i7-875k idles at 33c and gets up to 47c at load with a slight overclock (multiplier set to 24). I'm sure you have good airflow in your case, and everything is basically normal, but it just seems a little high to me, particularly this time of year.

mfc9x

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
Like 10 minutes after I turn my PC on in the morning temperatures are about 40, but they soon go to 60 and don't really drop below that (59 right now). Is that normal?

The load temps are on the warm side but that is normal for your card so you should be fine for a few months. Its the high 90s that should get you worrying but you can set the fanspeed to a high setting like 60-80% manually when in use and that should keep the temps down. I like to keep mine below 70c when under load but then again I don't have a GTX 480/580 then again I am a collector and have a growing collection of cards. In the right conditions you can keep the card in the 70s under load but that won't be easy.

I don't really think it is normal. It is certainly within normal operating limits, but your GTX580 should be cooler than my GTX480, and with just normal websurfing, nothing too intense, you should not be above 50c. Usually if you play a game or do something involving graphics the temp may go up above 60c, but then it may take a while to get back to idle at 50c or below. But it sounds like you never get back below 60c. Is that true if you just leave the computer alone for 15 minutes with no screen saver? Is your GPU sitting right above our PSU? Do you have the GTX580 with a reference cooler that vents heat outside the case?

I recommend you keep the fan on Auto. Your card will never get above the 85c you got in Furmark. That is totally normal. The problem with adding fan speed is you also increase the fan noise.

Many of these Fermi cards idle much higher than that. It all depends on the cooling and fan profile.

Some idle as high as 70C with good air flow.

If the manufacturer set it up to use low energy, it just won't turn the fan up high unless the temps are high.

If you want lower temps, you can make an MSI afterburner profile and reduce the idle temps by increasing the fan speeds.

mfc9x

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010

It's constantly at 60, I just left for about 10 minutes with nothing going on and no screensaver and it's at 58. The GPU (Zotac branded if it makes a difference) is above the PSU and it vents out heat which I can feel. Going to sleep now, will reply to any more posts in the morning. Thanks to everybody who has helped so far!

I can live with noise and no have a loud system but at least I can depend on the fact that it is stable when room temp push 30c+.

Without arguing too much, there is no Fermi card, or any card that idles at 70c.
After looking it up, here is what they found at guru3d:
"This card ran 42 degrees C in IDLE which is very normal. When the GPU is stressed out 100% for several minutes the card reaches roughly 85 to 87 degrees C. For a GeForce GTX 580 these are rather normal numbers. Also, we measure at a room temperature of 21 degrees Celsius."

The problem with using the fan profile in Afterburner is that, while you may lower temperatures, a faster fan will mean more noise. That's a logical tradeoff, however, there is another issue: When you exit a game, the Auto fan will immediately return to its idle speed. With a fan profile, the fan will very slowly and gradually lower its speed back down to idle. This may take quite a long time. What this means is that with a fan profile, you will hear a louder fan spinning long after you have quit a game, while with Auto fan, the fan speed goes down and noise returns to idle immediately.

That would be completely not true on the stock side of things.

Both stock and MSI profiles work the same. They both require the GPU to cool off before they are allowed to drop their fan speeds. I'm using a stock profile myself, and it too takes over a minute to wind down, that's because it takes a bit for the temps to drop. If they just dropped to idle speeds immediately, the GPU would over heat.

The trick is to choose a good curve that works well. You can make them more aggressive or less so.

Keep in mind, that when you see a benchmark on a site that tests the temperatures, they choose an enclosure they like. One with exceptional air flow. When they choose more typical enclosures, the idle temps are higher. Ambient temps also play a role.

mfc9x

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
Today I turned my monitor off and left my computer for about 2 hours with nothing open (It was still powered on and didn't go into standby), when I came back the GPU temperature was about 40, but then within 10 minutes went back to just under 60. GPU load is 0% in GPU-Z so I'm really confused as to what the problem is.

mfc9x

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2010
It's plugged into my monitor and my TV at the same time, and set to show the same thing on both screens. The TV has been off all day though.

racecarinthered

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
Had exactly the same issue - EXACTLY - just found the fault and then foudn this thread lol...
I had been playing BF3 with my HDMI screen activated at the same time (for no ereason) but didnt realise that this was adding considerable load / heat to the main card.

Now I will simply activate the second screen when required.