Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Graphics Cards
  • Sandy Bridge
  • Intel i7
  • Intel i5
Last response: in CPUs
April 19, 2011 4:31:55 PM

Do I HAVE to use a graphics card with the unlocked sandy bridge i7/i5's (2500k/2600k) with a p67 chipset? I know I dont have to have a graphics card with a locked i5/i7 (2500/2600) sandybridge on an h67 chipset, and I know the unlocked version on a p67 is more powerfull, but all I have read makes it sound like the more powerfull setup requires a graphics card, compared to the less powerfull setup no requireing one.

Im trying to be budget conscience while still leaving my system open for future growth. the h67 MOBO's seem less capable in that regard.

Was hoping to setup a 2500k or 2600k with a p67 mobo and put off the gpu till later, but im not sure if that works or not. any help please would be great. this is my first build and its for personal use.

More about : intel sandy bridge graphics

a b à CPUs
April 19, 2011 4:36:52 PM

P67 does not have any capability of using the onboard graphics, so if you want to use them you must go H67. So yes, you MUST use a dedicated graphics card.

HOWEVER

Z68 is coming out May 8th and that's the "ultimate" chipset allowing you to do everything P67 can AS WELL as using the onboard graphics (as well as a few other things to boot).

To be honest though I have to ask the question why? If you want to overclock your CPU then surely you're not going to want to use the IGP (plus overclocking headroom will be reduced I should imagine if you're using the IGP as well - too much going on on one chip and that means added heat).

If you're not overclocking then there's no reason to get a K series CPU - OK, the IGP is better than the non-K but it's still low-end stuff.

H67 is less capable - no overclocking at all and RAM is restricted to 1333MHz with no ability to even change timings without an XMP profile (what I gather). Unless you're building a tiny, tiny system I've never seen the point behind H67.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
April 19, 2011 4:46:12 PM

I'd wait for the Z68, which is what I'm doing.
One small advantage of the IGP is that you have a "fall back" if for some reason you need to troubleshoot/repove for RMA the GPU card. And if you have not bought/received the Graphic card you can use the system until you get it. Only real question is cost differencial.
m
l
Related resources
April 19, 2011 4:53:28 PM

The restrictions on the memory availablity on the H67 was a major concern for me. Im not planning on overclocking either the cpu or igp.

so basically I should go with the non k series, and wait for the z68. that way I can utilize the igp until im ready to add the gpu.

though the k series does offer better igp, which would come in handy without the gpu right? for 15$ more.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 19, 2011 4:59:47 PM

The K series has a HD 3000 IGP, the non-K has a HD 2000 series.

What the differences are I couldn't tell you as I personally read it as "crap" and "crapper", although they're apparently not bad for HTPC work (but then even a cheap Radeon 5450 is better).

Z68 is going to be more expensive than P67, and we may even see P67 prices come down once it's out. With that in mind I may just wait until Z68 is out and then get non-K, P67 AND graphics card all in one go.
m
l
April 19, 2011 5:04:24 PM

That does sound like a good idea. Im not ready to buy yet anyway, so waiting is fine with me. was hoping to find a way to save the 200$ on the graphics card, but oh well. Thanks for the advice, its exactly what I needed.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 19, 2011 5:05:33 PM

What exactly are you going to do with the system?

You may not need to spend that much on a graphics card.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
April 19, 2011 5:09:54 PM

For the cost diff between the K/nonK, I'd go for the K. Who knows, you might find OCing your bagg - New Procs since I5-750 and the Newer MBs have made Ocing as easy as flipping a switch - well almost anyway. My I5-750 was much easier than my e6400, which it was not that difficualt and that was my first OCing experience.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 19, 2011 5:25:05 PM

+1 to RetiredChief

Sandy Bridge overclocking is as easy as changing a multiplier in the BIOS - those things will overclock like crazy even on stock voltage and stock coolers.
m
l
April 19, 2011 5:39:19 PM

online gaming, but not high end super graphics intensive stuff. I have a Pentium 4 2ghz ancient procesor and 1gb ram in this old computer and with the graphics card I had *until I broke it while cleaning off the dust* I was playing WoW and any game I ever wanted pretty well. It wasnt untill civ 5 came out that my system just couldnt keep up anymore.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 19, 2011 5:41:18 PM

Radeon 5770 - about $110 with rebates on Newegg.

It's all you'll ever need if you don't game at the "high end". I have one paired with a Phenom II X2 550 BE (at stock) and it runs WoW at 1080p on my TV with no problems whatsoever.
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
April 19, 2011 6:41:43 PM

WOW and Civilisation 5 will not run well if at all on Intels integrated graphics 2000 or 3000 except maybe on lowest resolution and quality, there is no reason to get such a powerful CPU with such a poor GPU. Even an Athlon II x3 with a $100 Graphics card will be better than any Intel CPU with onboard graphics. If you cannot afford the 2500K and a reasonable GPU get an i3 or even an Athlon and a Graphics card.
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
April 19, 2011 6:44:54 PM

Check this out remembering all the cards are poor and all games are run at a very low resolution and settings. http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-rev... you can see even a 5570 (Cheap card thats still no good for gaming) beats intel by a mile.
m
l
April 19, 2011 7:01:50 PM

ok thanks, thats what im going to do. going to go with i3 and mid-range graphics card for now on p67. Will upgrade cpu and gpu in future. that should be enough for me for a few years until I have the money to beef up the system while still having the bare bones components to support the upgrades.
m
l
April 19, 2011 7:09:42 PM

thanks for the link. helpfull!
m
l
!