S-Cable hook up problem

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
March 7, 2005 9:54:08 AM

I have two laptops that I am trying to hook up to my tv through the s-cable.
The problem that I am having is that I am not getting any color on the tv.
I have tried both my laptops (emachine 6807 and Compac 2701t) and both have
no color to the
screen. The picture is clear and very veiwable minus the color. I do have
the tv on the correct channel. So, I know that's not the problem.

Any ideas please let me know,

Thanks,

More about : cable hook problem

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 7, 2005 5:41:03 PM

Whorrorfan wrote:
> I have two laptops that I am trying to hook up to my tv through the
> s-cable. The problem that I am having is that I am not getting any
> color on the tv. I have tried both my laptops (emachine 6807 and
> Compac 2701t) and both have no color to the
> screen. The picture is clear and very veiwable minus the color. I do
> have the tv on the correct channel. So, I know that's not the problem.
>
> Any ideas please let me know,

Make sure you have it set for 16BIT color, not 24BIT or 32BIT.

Regards,

James
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 7, 2005 7:33:26 PM

JHEM wrote:
> Whorrorfan wrote:
>> I have two laptops that I am trying to hook up to my tv through the
>> s-cable. The problem that I am having is that I am not getting any
>> color on the tv. I have tried both my laptops (emachine 6807 and
>> Compac 2701t) and both have no color to the
>> screen. The picture is clear and very veiwable minus the color. I do
>> have the tv on the correct channel. So, I know that's not the
>> problem. Any ideas please let me know,
>
> Make sure you have it set for 16BIT color, not 24BIT or 32BIT.
>
> Regards,
>
> James

It is probably either the TV setup for the video input is not right or
the cable is not right. The thin s-video cables commonly supplied with
low-cost DVD players are often too high impedance for a low output power
signal and color disappears or there is no video at all when using the
cable on different equipment. Try a different cable or invest in a
higher-quality cable. Otherwise, is the video input on the TV correctly
selected and set up properly?

a b D Laptop
March 7, 2005 7:45:35 PM

I tried it, but didn't work. Got anything else?

"JHEM" <James@ESAD.SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> wrote in message
> Whorrorfan wrote:
> > I have two laptops that I am trying to hook up to my tv through the
> > s-cable. The problem that I am having is that I am not getting any
> > color on the tv. I have tried both my laptops (emachine 6807 and
> > Compac 2701t) and both have no color to the
> > screen. The picture is clear and very veiwable minus the color. I do
> > have the tv on the correct channel. So, I know that's not the problem.
> >
> > Any ideas please let me know,
>
> Make sure you have it set for 16BIT color, not 24BIT or 32BIT.
>
> Regards,
>
> James

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 7, 2005 10:17:23 PM

"Whorrorfan" <soulless@cox.net> wrote in

> both have
> no color to the
> screen. The picture is clear and very veiwable minus the color. I do
> have the tv on the correct channel. So, I know that's not the problem.

that's usually the sign of a bad cable; try another one.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 8, 2005 4:22:41 AM

Whorrorfan wrote:
> I tried it, but didn't work. Got anything else?

If everything else is working and the picture is clear with just the color
missing, try a new cable.

Regards,

James
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 8, 2005 4:33:13 AM

An S-Video cable is simply two coax cables in the same jacket, with a
4-pin connector (shield and ground for each of the two coax cables), and
a ground shell as well.

One coax carries the luminance signal (Black and white picture), the
other carries the chroma (color information).

Your situation suggests either a bad cable or a bad connector, and if
it's a connector, most likely the socket on the TV set. Visually
inspect the cable and make sure that all 4 pins are present at both
ends, they are quite thin and it's very possible for one to get broken
or bent.

!