Sign in with
Your question

Beats solo by dr.dre on PC

Last response: in Components
April 19, 2011 6:32:30 PM

Hey guys.. So I already have a beats solo (non HD) by dr.dre and I would love to use it on my PC

Is there any way I can use this thing as a gaming headset? I really don't want to spend UBER EXTRA for some awesome headsets. I just need a decent one...

So, Is there anyway I can do that? I.e. I want to use my solo headphone as gaming headset i.e. with mic and chat :) 

Please let me know if its possible, and if it's not, please recommend me a decent headset/mic that I could get for around ~$30 CAN. Thanks guys! Have a great day !!

More about : beats solo dre

a b 4 Gaming
April 19, 2011 8:40:40 PM

Just plug it in...? I'm not understanding why you would have a problem with this. I don't have experience with those headphones so is there something that would prevent you from plugging them in?
April 19, 2011 9:27:07 PM

wolfram23 said:
Just plug it in...? I'm not understanding why you would have a problem with this. I don't have experience with those headphones so is there something that would prevent you from plugging them in?

Hey! Thanks for the reply :) 

The reason why I am asking this question is because this headphone only has one jack i.e. only for both audio and mic. (it was originally designed for use in iphone). So i was wondering if i could use
this like a gaming headset by attaching some sort of adaptor? or splitter? or some sort like that :) 

Whenever I plug this headphone to my macbook, I can only use it as headphone, not both.

Thanks for the help!
Related resources
April 19, 2011 9:34:04 PM

Just get yourself a lapel mic and you should be good to go.
April 19, 2011 9:35:43 PM

you might be able to get an adapter for it from eBay.
a b 4 Gaming
April 19, 2011 9:49:24 PM

Oh I see. Then yes to use mic and headphone you probably need a splitter of some sort.

There's a lot of cheap headsets available though, or you could even just use these for sound and buy a really cheap standing mic.
April 19, 2011 10:07:12 PM

You bascally need a reverse adapter of this (but you wont find one, so here's the alternative option):
(3.5mm Headset Splitter Cable Adapter F iPod iPhone EA82)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-5mm-Headset-Splitter-Cable-Adap...

If you buy 2x these and solder (or get someone to solder) these together with the pins connected in parallel (1connects to1 - 2connects to2 and so on), you can couple the beats by dre headsets to the iPhone converter/adapter cable:
(3.5mm 4 Pole In Line Jack Socket)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-5mm-4-Pole-Line-Jack-Socket-/28...

then all you need is 2x of these 3.5mm jack to jack cables, one for mic in and the other for line out (these connect to the iPhone adapter cable respectively):
(1m - 3.5mm JACK(TO PLUG) MALE HEADPHONE CABLE/LEAD iPOD)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1m-3-5mm-JACK-TO-PLUG-MALE-HEADPH...

This combination should allow you to use the Dre headset on your PC with microphone capability intact. Hope this helps and sorry for any spelling/grammer mistakes.
April 19, 2011 10:09:47 PM

Woah.... So much details !! Hmm.. I need to find someone to sold this for me then :( ( urgh so bothersome!!!

Thanks for the detailed, precise answer :) 
April 19, 2011 10:15:04 PM

It shouldn't be difficult to solder (its a pity eBay don't sell a pre-made one) but it should be quite rewarding one done.
a b 4 Gaming
April 20, 2011 2:22:34 PM

My biggest issue here would be the fact that the iphone as well as blackberry and other phones use a 4 pole headphone plug. The listed adapter above is for splitting headphones and does not mention the mic at all.

but hairystuff is on the right idea.

What about getting one 3 pole headphone extension, chop that bad boy in half

So now you have a plug for the computer for headphones and mic

Now wire those 2 sets of 3 wires into the 4 pole female socket

Refer to here for the proper pinout

your headset(The image is male, but the pinout is the same on a female plug)
http://pinouts.ru/HeadsetsHeadphones/iphone_headphone_p...
Standard headphones(that the computer has on its green plug)
http://pinouts.ru/connector/3_pin_stereo_plug_connector...

Since the mic is mono, i think you can connect the left + right together for the mic then run ground to the common ground side, but do not quote me on it...

So left audio goes to the tip
right the next ring
ground the next ring both mic and headphone ground goes here
then connect the mic to the last sleve

With all this you will have 2 cables you connect to the computer and a single plug to connect to the headphone/mic combo
April 20, 2011 9:55:16 PM

Yep you could buy 1x 4pole 3.5mm female jack and 2x 3pole 3.5mm male jacks and do that to cut out the iphone headset adapter, I've built similar leads for Yuasa/motorola 2way radios and they seem to work fine. Thanks nukemaster for the wiring digrams.
September 18, 2013 4:54:23 AM

wwowz said:
wolfram23 said:

Hey! Thanks for the reply :) 

The reason why I am asking this question is because this headphone only has one jack i.e. only for both audio and mic. (it was originally designed for use in iphone). So i was wondering if i could use
this like a gaming headset by attaching some sort of adaptor? or splitter? or some sort like that :) 

Whenever I plug this headphone to my macbook, I can only use it as headphone, not both.

Thanks for the help!

I hav the same problem they only work as headphones my friend just told me to plug them in it no work. I spent 80$ for skullcandy slyr and they are sweeeet but I play pc a bit more now
!