[Help] AMD x6 vs intel i5?

18 answers Last reply
More about help intel
  1. 2500k by a long shot.
  2. Love AMD CPU's, but the i5 is the obvious winner.
  3. well im planning to buy a new computer with a i5. Do you think the prices of cpu will drop when the amd bulldozer comes out?

I want to buy one now, but amd bulldozer comes out june
  4. Maybe... but looking at current Core 2 prices I doubt they'll change much. Plus by the time June rolls around you'll be looking at Intel's 2011 socket and CPUs coming out soon... and then there'll be something else...
  5. pull the trigger on the 2500k now! You have to decide at some point..it's inevitable for technology to keep coming out..just get something thats great right now, and enjoy... the 1100T is a great cpu and will last for years, but even the last generation of i5 processors rivaled and in some cases beat the 6 core amd cpu's...you will be absolutely surprised at how fast the 2500k is once you get it..

And, there are some great deals for the chip and mobos right now
    http://ncix.com/products/?sku=60394&vpn=2500K%20%26%20P67%20Sabertooth&manufacture=Bundle%20Deals

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=60177&vpn=2500K%20%26%20P67A-G43&manufacture=Bundle%20Deals

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=60336&vpn=2500K%26GA-P67A-UD3P-B3&manufacture=Bundle%20Deals

Prices will no decrease..at least not by much...if you try and get a Q6600 your still looking at paying a high price imo..get the 2500K you will not regret it..handles everything like a bawseeeee
  6. I am in the same boat, as i am trying to finish a rig i started in march, bought a 6870, and i know for a fact it wont work on my old motherboard so i am trying to build a rig that it will work on nicely. And 1 that will last me around 2 years. But as i phoned my dealer they said they ran out of the i5 2500k, so i started to look at am3 rig that would be able to support the new bulldozer chips.. but sadly no luck on finding a direct answer.. its just gonna get harder the longer you wait to buy a rig and new parts keep rolling out, the only way forward is to pull the trigger and dont look back...
  7. I am in the same boat, as i am trying to finish a rig i started in march, bought a 6870, and i know for a fact it wont work on my old motherboard so i am trying to build a rig that it will work on nicely. And 1 that will last me around 2 years. But as i phoned my dealer they said they ran out of the i5 2500k, so i started to look at am3 rig that would be able to support the new bulldozer chips.. but sadly no luck on finding a direct answer.. its just gonna get harder the longer you wait to buy a rig and new parts keep rolling out, the only way forward is to pull the trigger and dont look back...
  8. I am in the same boat, as i am trying to finish a rig i started in march, bought a 6870, and i know for a fact it wont work on my old motherboard so i am trying to build a rig that it will work on nicely. And 1 that will last me around 2 years. But as i phoned my dealer they said they ran out of the i5 2500k, so i started to look at am3 rig that would be able to support the new bulldozer chips.. but sadly no luck on finding a direct answer.. its just gonna get harder the longer you wait to buy a rig and new parts keep rolling out, the only way forward is to pull the trigger and dont look back...
  9. Third time's the charm!

Yes, certain mobo's from asus/asrock/msi and now gigabyte will support am3+ and am3 CPUs on the 800-series chipset. Bulldozer wasn't going to ship with a new chipset anyway. Future bulldozer's, though, may require a new chipset as they will be trinity with bulldozer cores and thus APUs (GPU + CPU).

The 2500k by a very long mile. Great CPU. Intel and OEMs don't drop prices on Intel mobo's/CPUs as much as consumers would like, even when faced with serious competition so waiting till bulldozer to see the prices drop probably won't happen, at least not significantly. Waiting for bulldozer to see which performs better and offers a better deal, though, isn't a bad idea.
  10. I was making this decision not so long ago between the i5 and the 6 core Phenom 2. I looked at the benchmarks and built an i5 2500 machine. I didn't get the K version though which I kinda regret but it's still a very fast CPU from stock. I render many Videos in Vegas and it's a huge improvement over my last Q6600 machine.
  11. ^The proof is in the pudding OP...pick up the 2500k and start building
  12. Concur, I5-2500K
    Myself, waiting for the Z68 chipset MB boards to appear should be very soon - Thinking 1 -> 15 May. I'm sure they will be priced higher that the P67 boards and not effect the price of good P67 boards at least for a couple of months. P67 pricing depend 2 things; Manuf may cut production while consentrating on Z68 limiting supplies and/or etailers may have a firesale on P67 boards if they con not move them.

As pointed out, at some point you need to pull the plug KNOWING that (A) Ivy bridge is due out the end of the year/possibly Q1 2012 and (b) a poster on Toms indicated the Z68 may be supplimented by the Z69. Then there is the improved intel native support for Sata III and USB 3. Here Intel's implimentation is generally better than the 3rd party.
  13. Quote:
    USB 6?!? when did 4 and 5 come out?!?

Lol. There's a lot of confusion with SATA 3 and USB 3. People call them "6" but what they really mean is 6gb/s... It's annoying though I wish people could just call them SATA3 and USB3
  14. There's speculation that z68 will only be about $10 more than current P67 boards
  15. OPPS My bad, Should have been USB3

VGA-P67A-UD7-B3 Approx $319 @NewEgg
    Rumor price on Z68 is approx $400
    http://hw-lab.com/gigabyte-ga-z68x-ud7-b3-caught-in-retail-network.html
  16. $400 mobo? That's crazyness. I doubt that'll be the average cost. I can't see them being more than an NF200 enabled P67, which is around $300.
  17. The Intel core i5 is by a long shot. If you want an AMD CPU wait for the bulldozers to come out. I have included a link for benchmarks: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
  18. ahh..is this thread still open? 2500k does circles, triangles, rectangles around the amd processor...a lot of the phenoms perform closer to the performance of the Q9*** series of intel processors..the price for amd processors are very attractive...but, with sandy bridge out..you would be absolutely be brain dead to pick up the old amd processors..

1155 motherboards are cheap, and with a 2500k overclocked you could do great things! Do the right thing and get the intel processor..stop asking crazy questions mane!
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD Intel i5 Intel