What kind if server should I setup

johnc0601

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
There seem to be so many options about types of servers.
This my problem. We have small appraisal business over a couple states(8 computers Total). We need to get all of our files to central place that can be accessed by all the appraisers. The server should be able to sync the files from one machine and update with new (or newly modified) files from a different machine. Automatic sync (once a week) would be preferable.
I don't mind learning FreeNAS to save money, but i don't know if FreeNAS is even capable.
Could I setup something that could be accessed like a hard drive? Like drive (F:) would be the network drive. All of this must happen over the internet to matter. I can setup home network, its the internet part that really confuses me.

Thanks for all the help,
John

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
maybe some kind of cloud storage, or hosted storage, that everyone could access at all times over the 'net?
Or, set up a VPN, and have everyone connect. Easier to put all files in 1 place (and back those up daily) than mess with synching up.

johnc0601

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
My main issue I will have is making access to the server simple. The people that will be accessing the server will older (50-60) with limited computer experience.
How would they access the VPN? Through internet browser? If so I know a bookmark would be pretty easy.

I have a nice netgear router with storage access, but it seems really slow. Most of these files will be around 5 MB. Would VPN be quicker??

If the VPN is a better more reliable option, what hardware do you suggest???
OR Could I setup a cloud storage from my own personal computer?? Or would a separate server be significantly better?
I also don't know how I would setup a cloud storage. This sounds like what would be best, I just have no idea how it would work. I know this is a lot of questions. Please get me going on the right path so I can do some research.
Thanks again,
John